Hello from Paris

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

jeancougar67

Hello from Paris

Post by jeancougar67 »

Hi, I'm French, my name jean. I work in the paramédicale.marié 2 children
I love doing the mechanics on older cars.
I have a 1967 mercury cougar V8 289 CI.
Since ten years.
I restored all my cougar mechanically and the entire interior. I'm proud to drive in France with my mercury cougar, this car is very appreciated in France. I participate in a large meeting / antique car, for fun and to meet other former car owners. and talk about our common passion.
Your forum is very good for me, there are good advice and I find Diagrams and very useful to maintain my car.
That's my first message here.
Good day to all and soon
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Re: Hello from Paris

Post by Mancar1 »

Welcome aboard from Calif. Though a Ford truck forum there is info on here that would be helpful with a 67 Merc Cougar.
I passed up a great deal on a 67 Cougar recently and I kick myself for it.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
lennyp
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by lennyp »

:wel: from Massachusetts.
jeancougar67

Post by jeancougar67 »

thank you, yes ford transmission are the same.
ok68crewcab
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by ok68crewcab »

Welcome!
2 Blessed 2 Be Stressed
jeancougar67

Post by jeancougar67 »

I wish you happy new year to all and good health
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

:wel: (bienvenue) from Alberta! A ‘67 cougar was my very first car ever, and was sad to sell it years ago.
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
DKnott

Post by DKnott »

:wel:
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

:wel: from Ohio
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
hdman90
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdman90 »

:wel: from Pennsylvania!
1969 F-100 LWB 2wd 240 3spd manual
1969 F-250 LWB 4wd 360 4spd manual
1976 F-250 Supercab LWB 2wd 390 4spd manual
farmallmta

'67 Cat... had one. Love/hate relationship.

Post by farmallmta »

:wel:
Bonjour, monsieur! Ah, the '67 Cougar. Possibly the most beautiful car built by Mercury in the 1960's. You're fortunate to have it. I'm glad it isn't the one I had, though... I guarantee you don't have the one I had. I can sum up my Cougar experience with an acronym, VLMW, short for Virginities Lost, Miles Walked. All in all, mixed results, some excellent, some terrible. On the whole, good more than bad. Pretty much like dating a stripper: great to look at and plenty of thrills whether you want them or not.

My first car was a '67 cougar with the "Motor Trend Car of the Year" sticker in the passenger-side back seat window. Mine was black vinyl top over wimbledon white body with twin track red pinstriping just beneath the upper side character crease front to back. Both sticker and pinstriping were dealer-supplied when new. The interior was the top-of-the line console and was maroon vinyl. A very, very snazzy and beautiful car. BUT....

Rust gets them. It hides in the rockers beneath the doors, at the bottom of the doors where the inner and outer skins clamp and weld together, behind the front wheels, behind the back wheels, under the truck deck lid, over the wheel arches. Worst, it gets into the "frame" elements and rusts them from the inside-out. The engine would overheat on hot days with the AC on, due to the beautiful grill being somewhat restrictive of cooling air flow. The doors are long and heavy and tend to wear the hinge pins and then the latch mechanism goes bad quickly thereafter. Given the unibody flex of the cars, this caused the passenger door to fly open more than once while going around an outside curve, one time causing me to have to quickly grab the girl riding over there (well before seat belt use was mandatory, meaning never worn). The front end was difficult to keep in alignment and wore tires badly, the headlight door vacuum controls were very prone to leaks and other failure leading to propping them open with sticks, and the sequence lights (awesome feature!) were impossible to keep sequencing due to the rotary motor switch contacts burning out and then not being available from the dealer in the late '70's and early '80's. I finally quit trying to fix the turn signals and just used hand signals after the 3rd "failure-to-signal" ticket.

A jug of wine and a stray dog on a country road conspired to put the Cat to its final rest one fine spring day in 1984. That's how I know my Cat isn't yours. Enjoy your Cougar!