original vs modified exhaust manifolds

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: original vs modified exhaust manifolds

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

My personal extensive experience is that the starters coming from O'Reilly and Autozone for FE motors are complete garbage. The snouts break, the bendix ceases to acctuate, the motor doesn't turn. It's one thing after another with them. I no longer buy starters from those companies. Instead, get a good rebuildable core and have a local automotive battery and electric shop rebuild the starter. Once I started doing that, no more starter problems.
:yt:
I have them rebuilt by our local NAPA or buy one of their reman starters.......and you can add Advance Auto starters onto that list...... :cuss:

I'm thinking its the starters themselves because I have the same stock setup and haven't had any problem with hot starts........ :?
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

My personal extensive experience is that the starters coming from O'Reilly and Autozone for FE motors are complete garbage. The snouts break, the bendix ceases to acctuate, the motor doesn't turn. It's one thing after another with them. I no longer buy starters from those companies. Instead, get a good rebuildable core and have a local automotive battery and electric shop rebuild the starter. Once I started doing that, no more starter problems.[/quote]
:yt: :yt: :yt:
I have been doing this as well for many years with stellar results with starters and alternators :2cents:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

If I drive it for more than 20-30 minutes, it'll barely crank. Not kicking back from overly advanced timing, just real slow. But if I wait for a while, it's fine. It stranded me at the gas station for half an hour the other week until it cooled down enough to turn over. It'll idle all day in traffic and never overheat, the plugs look good, and all the cables/grounds have been checked or replaced.

Like I said, it's getting a Windsor as soon as funds allow. I know there are people that love them, but I've never been a fan of the FE motor, and I happened on a good 351 short block and perches.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
rollercam1

Post by rollercam1 »

Good choice on dumping the FE. I like the FE for nostalgic reasons, however, this day and age it costs more to maintain them that replace them with a windsor or like
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

It might be a different story if it had it's original 390, but it was swapped out for a 352. The motor I have now was rebuilt about 10,000 miles before I got it, and bored .040" over. It runs strong and has good oil pressure, but between the constant exhaust leaks, fuel vaporization issues, starter problems, and oil leaks, I'm ready for a change. I'm also thinking of going the fuel injection route at some point too, and that's a whole lot easier with a Windsor.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

Jacksdad wrote:It might be a different story if it had it's original 390, but it was swapped out for a 352. The motor I have now was rebuilt about 10,000 miles before I got it, and bored .040" over. It runs strong and has good oil pressure, but between the constant exhaust leaks, fuel vaporization issues, starter problems, and oil leaks, I'm ready for a change. ...
Sounds like a sloppy rebuild to me. Constant exhaust leaks would be eliminated with proper machine work. Mine haven't leaked in 21 years. Fuel vaporization issues sounds like carburetor problems and oil leaks are from the rebuild. I'm sorry you've had problems with your FE. My 68's original 360 146,000 miles only leaks a little from the rear main. I know they can be leakers but they're good engines. Windsors are cool too and they make stroker kits for those as well so you could actually have a 427 Windsor if you desire! :2cents:
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

That's okay. It gives me a chance to show my son what's involved in building a motor from the block up, so it's all good.
When I first got my F350, the exhaust was already leaking so I changed the manifold gaskets and manifold to front pipe sealing rings. Lasted a while then started leaking again. I've changed out the manifolds, gone with gaskets, no gaskets, hi temp silicone - and they always end up leaking again. And yes, the manifolds are straight and there is no erosion on the mating surfaces. I have a set of soft aluminum gaskets I'm going to try next. When I first did an internet search for a solution, I got so many hits that it was obviously wasn't just me. It's an FE thing and I'm done trying to fix it.
I'm on the second carb and vaporization has not been quite as much of an issue, but I don't drive it much now because it's insanely thirsty and just too damned big to be practical. When the camper box comes off, that might well change though. As a stake bed with a foot or more taken off the overall length, it'll hopefully be lighter and more manageable, with better visibility.
FLASH 1

Post by FLASH 1 »

Lets start has seen some good answer. Bottom line is Headers cause too much heat and eats starters,, been around the Fe's almost since they came out in trucks and have been in the cold and high heat, pushing truck to get started and problem is headers, once I took off headers have not replaced a starter in years on a FE. Now if timing is off will cause the starter to drag when hot but with headers will cause more heat on top of that, BOTTOM LINE , headers on FE'S cause too much heat
Now of course the exhaust manifold gaskets on stock manifold can be a problem, I have tried several ones until I found this one place that sells T-Bird Parts that had exhaust gaskets for the FE Birds that WILL NOT LEAK, installed and when the heat up they make this awful smell , then seat and did not leak, that's been about 3 years ago they where 80.00 for the gaskets
Tom, where Ford Trucks Rule
1956 Big Window
1964 F-750 Flat Bed
1965 M-100 Mercury
1966 M-350 Mercury
1966 F350 Wrecker
1972 F-350 Crew Cab
1997 F-450 7.3 with 85,000 original miles
2006 F-150 Crew Cab
2008 F-650 Crew Cab Roll Back 6.7 Cummins
2020 Flat Top Peterbilt Roll Back PX-7 Engine
and 2 cars 1968 XLT and 2017 Mustang
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

I read a lot of good reviews of Percy's gaskets, so they're the ones I'm trying next.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Can you remember the brand? I read a lot of good reviews of Percy's gaskets, so they're the ones I'm trying next.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Jacksdad wrote:It might be a different story if it had it's original 390, but it was swapped out for a 352. The motor I have now was rebuilt about 10,000 miles before I got it, and bored .040" over. It runs strong and has good oil pressure, but between the constant exhaust leaks, fuel vaporization issues, starter problems, and oil leaks, I'm ready for a change. I'm also thinking of going the fuel injection route at some point too, and that's a whole lot easier with a Windsor.

Damn that makes me feel blessed - although I've only owned mine for 2 years the only problems I've had is I had to have the manifolds surfaced due to a leak and boil over with the carb on hot days right after I got it and I fixed that by putting a 1 inch phenolic spacer under the carb - been running like a champ ever since - but it is bone stock with only 83,000 miles also......... :pray:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR