Spare Tire Rack Help

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

69-er

Spare Tire Rack Help

Post by 69-er »

I've been searching this topic but the posts I find are old with dead links and deleted Photobucket pics.

On my 67 F100 I am trying to figure out how the spare tire rack is assembled. It looks like I have all the parts.
On the eye bolt it looks like the nut that attaches to the frame may have been a J-nut based on the square nut. But do I have the eye bolt attached to the support properly? I can see how the slot allows the eye to pass through but it doesn't look very secure if the bolt was to turn and allow it to slip out.

Is the flat square piece in the center of the support at the correct angle? And whats the large washer for?

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Spare Tire Rack Help

Post by basketcase0302 »

"69-er"I've been searching this topic but the posts I find are old with dead links and deleted Photobucket pics.
On my 67 F100 I am trying to figure out how the spare tire rack is assembled. It looks like I have all the parts.
On the eye bolt it looks like the nut that attaches to the frame may have been a J-nut based on the square nut. But do I have the eye bolt attached to the support properly? I can see how the slot allows the eye to pass through but it doesn't look very secure if the bolt was to turn and allow it to slip out.
Is the flat square piece in the center of the support at the correct angle? And whats the large washer for?
Thank you!
Sadly you have it right, (it was always poor in design as far as I'm concerned). I fabbed a 80's E-series cable crank type into my F-350 build that was the cat's meow! but yes "photobomb" held my pics hostage and I refused to pay their "ransom". :-)

1) You are right it is a large J-nut that slides over the hole in the top of the frame rail on the one bolt that cranks it down.
2) The washer does not go there, (could be used on the other bolt, (on top of the frame rail to "support the nut").
3) The spare tire pressure holds or stops the pivot bolt from sliding out of it's slot. when the tire is not there you have to use wire or zip ties to secure this so it does not drag on the ground, (yeah good design right LOL)!
4) Yes the flat iron holds the tire from sliding, (later in the 80's & 90's era they added a bolt with a plastic "nut" on top to secure the tire to the carrier.

Do yourself and your family a big favor...toss this ion the scrap iron pile and get a crank type installed as it could possibly save your life someday!
Wait until you have one of those fly down and the steel smacks you in the head someday...yep own that t-shirt too. :(
You can google images of "70's Ford truck spare tire holder" but I won't put a FTE link up here, (my main results of the search)-you'll have to learn the history of that relationship..
:fte:

Here's one of the crank types, (but they can be easily found in boneyards for $20 all day long:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Bill Ramsey
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bill Ramsey »

Ive seen several of those crank type spare holder things on the side of the road with the spare tire still attached. Heck, i just saw one yesterday.
1968 Highboy
1976 Highboy
1969 F250 Camper Special
1941 Dodge Power Wagon
1930 Model A Coupe (Hotrod)
1962 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe
VW Sandrails
Honda ATC's
36' Diesel Pusher for roughing it.
69-er

Post by 69-er »

Thanks! I discovered that there is a large washer missing on the other bolt but this one is too big. It's 2" dia and the correct one should be 1 1/4". I'll find the correct size and put it where it belongs on the other bolt.

The J nut is another story. That size is not easily found locally. I could probably order one but I'm just gonna fab up a clip and weld on the square nut I already have. The clip won't have the same heat treatment but it won't go anywhere once installed.

I like the crank idea but this truck is gonna stay somewhat factory as much as possible.
smiler289

Post by smiler289 »

Hi. I'm trying to put together a spare tire carrier for my truck aswell. I have a 70 camper special. I think I've got all the parts, I've got the j bolt but not the other one and I'm wondering what it looks like as I have seen a couple of different styles and also where I can get one from, I live in the UK which doesn't help when trying to find parts.

Cheers
James
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Bill Ramsey wrote:Ive seen several of those crank type spare holder things on the side of the road with the spare tire still attached. Heck, i just saw one yesterday.

Here in Ohio the portion of cable that is exposed rusts because of the salt and they fall off.......I had one do it on a E350 work van i used to drive and get wedged under the trailer i was towing......... :eek:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR