1968 F-100 Ranger

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

1968 F-100 Ranger

Post by dcbullet »

Most of you may have read and possibly helped me out when I was looking at this truck.

It's hard to tell from the picture but it is filthy! Lichen growing on the roof, black dirts spots on every quare inch of the truck.

So a few hours of elbow grease and here's how she looks now:

Not the most substantial work I know, but I'm just getting started. I like looking at people's projects so I figure someone else might too! :D

I'll add more of the more "technical" work as I go along.
Last edited by dcbullet on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:24 am, edited 12 times in total.
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: 1968 Ranger

Post by hardtailjohn »

Big improvement!!! :D
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dablack00 »

Nothing like that first big clean up, or that first big disassembly. It gives your project a positive start!
Merc Man

Post by Merc Man »

I see you also took of the small round mirror on the drivers side ...the next thing you know the whole truck will be in pieces on the garage floor :lol: Thats happened too many time around here!
Name : Craig
Truck : 1968 Mercury M100 Custom Factory Ordered 360 v8 , Cruise-0-Matic, Camper Special leaf & Spring Package .
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: 1968 Ranger

Post by dcbullet »

Merc Man wrote:I see you also took of the small round mirror on the drivers side ...the next thing you know the whole truck will be in pieces on the garage floor :lol: Thats happened too many time around here!
:lol: Good eye. It had not mirror in it so I couldn't see the point of it being there! I don't really like the style of mirror that is on the truck (is it Western Style?), so I'll replace those at some point.
tazzman68

Post by tazzman68 »

were you able to talk the previous owner down on the price at all? An that is a Vast improvement.
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

Yeah I got him down $100. Not alot I guess, but it was 10% of the asking, if you look at it that way.
tazzman68

Post by tazzman68 »

Not too bad, how does she run and drive?
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

She runs great. Needs new exhaust manifold gaskets to quite down the engine some and I'll get it tuned up, but it starts right away and idles smoothly.

Seems to handle pretty well. Goes in a straight line at least! It's hard for me to really compare though since the last time I drove an old truck was 16 years ago. My car is a 2004 so it handles a little bit better. :D

Breaks are drums all around but suprisingly seem to bring it to a stop in a reasonable distance.
69F110
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 69F110 »

Not bad on the elbow grease there. Looks alot better. Nice color too. Sounds like a good deal.
Steve Davis
Pastor and U.S. Army Retired

1969 F100 Ranger LWB, 390 and 3 on the tree
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

Ok time for my next update.

When I purchased the vehicle, the only lights that worked correctly were the front left headlight and front parking lights. No blinkers, no reverse lights, no rear tail lights. The previous owner had the reverse bulbs wired up to the brake switch via a wire that threaded through the rear window and back through the bed. :roll: You can see that in my first post above. He covered the reverse lights with red tape so they would function as brake lights.

I was OK with this at the time of purchase, however, because I wanted to learn electrical work and what better way than doing! :D.

So I'll tell my story in case it helps anyone else in the future. I learned all this from reading posts on this and "another" site and by purchasing the wiring diagram for my truck. I used just a test light.

First thing I decided to tackle was the neutral safely / rear light switch. I decided to start here since the reverse lights are separate from the brake/blinkers and decided that would be an easy start. It was missing entirely so I got a new one and with the help of a member here figured out what it should plug into. The plug was very high up under the dash so at first I couldn't find it. After hooking it up the neutral safety worked correctly but there were still no reverse lights.

Next thing I did was look under the rear of the truck, this is what I found:

It wasn't too hard to temporarily wire back up all the correct wires by using the wiring diagram. I had to undo the electrical tape back to the first set of connectors in order to tell which black/red and brown wires went to each side. So temporarily I had this:

Reverse lights still didn't work but I did have brake lights, sort of. When I would press the brake pedal, the rear lights would come on but so would the reverse lights. :eek: when I used the turn signal lever various random combinations of lights would turn on and off. Ah, hah! I've read about the problems with the turn signal switch so figured that was the problem. So I got a new one and got it installed. That was actually pretty easy.

After the new turn signal switch was installed I tried the indicators again. Same things was happening with the random lights! :pout:

So I figured that I must have wired something wrong out back. I went back under the truck and checked all my wires...all seemed to be hooked up correctly. So I started following the wires back towards the front of the truck and when I got near the transmission, I found this "ball" of duct tape. :hmm: What could this be? It was hidden by one of the crossmembers so it was kind of hard to see at first. When I opened up the ball of duct tape I found all four wires shredded and fused together - bare wire. :x Ok so I figured that since all the wires going to the back are touching each other that might be causing some of my problems.

So I fixed this temporarily like so:

When I went to test the lights again I had the following:

1. Brake lights worked properly.
2. Tail lights worked properly.
3. Left or Right turn signal would turn off the corresponding tail light properly, but no blinking.
4. No reverse lights.

Progress! :) Since the turn signals work by cutting off the brake light power and replacing it with its own power from the flasher, my wiring was working correctly.

As noted above I had learned that the turn signal lights get their own power from a wire coming from the flasher. I checked for power there and there was none. I traced this using the wiring diagram and learned that the power came from the 14 amp fuse (no power there either) and that got its power from the ignition via the black/green wire. I stuck my test lamp probe in there and there was no power. So I reached up and pushed in the wiring plug into the ignition switch, checked again with the test light, and bam, power.

Tested the lights again and everyone worked correctly! :woohoo: Not only that, but now my gauges worked again and so does the heater fan and windshield wipers! :lol: Bunch of projects solved all at once!

So I finished up by replacing my temporary wiring with permanent, like so:

I could have done a little better here with my lengths of wiring because I ended up with some extra that sticks out. But I think it will be OK.

I had some wiring cover laying around that I used to replace the factory.

This looks pretty good IMO, considering I had to add some extra wiring in to have them reach after I cut out all the bad wires.

So there you go, my first project completed successfully. I know this is kind of long but hopefully someone will learn from reading it.

Couple things I learned.

1. There can be multiple problems causing your lights not to work right. I may not have had to replace my turn signal switch because I think it was the problem with the wiring in the middle of my truck that was causing the random lights to turn on with the signals. I'll never know because I'm sure not putting my old one back on! :lol: It had a broken cam anyway so I guess I replaced a $10 cam with a $70 switch.

2. It might have been easier to get the length of wiring harness from the engine compartment connector back to the rear from a junkyard rather than repair my harness. It's a pain in the rear to lay on your back and solder 14 connections, especially since I suck at soldering.

3. Anyone can do this with patience. I had zero electrical experience and just read up on it and took my time. Everything in this project took place over about a 3 week period, on the weekends. I would try each step and if it didn't work, I would take a break until next weekend.

4. Electricity if Fun! :D
Last edited by dcbullet on Sun May 15, 2005 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
greenbank

re: 1968 Ranger (5-14-2005 Update)

Post by greenbank »

Very cool, very helpful, and congratulations!

:clap:
1968 F250 Ranger Camper Special
-- 360, AT, PS, PB, disks
-- See Goldie
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Way to go! :clap:
You'll have that truck fixed up in no time!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
morganater

Post by morganater »

AWESOME post!!!!! I am having some of the same exact problems with my truck including heater fan and gauges. Your explaination only got better and better in the post, and should be really helpful for me.
1969 f100 swb ranger 460 - parting out
1968 f100 swb 429 - decking out
94 Jeep I6 Back-up vehicle
reppin' AK
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I agree....excellent post! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. Since many of us share similar problems, I'm sure it'll help many others out while troubleshooting their own trucks. :thup:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!