My 68 flareside project.

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: My 68 flareside project.

Post by rjewkes »

wicked, when your doe mine needs all four corners and the floor halfway under the seats upto the firewall on both sides :lol: J/K probably gonna make this one a parts truck once i buy something less rusty.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
wickedinhere
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by wickedinhere »

I feel your pain LOL. It wouldnt be so bad if i didnt have to tear out the previous owners shotty work. i still have the cab corners to do and there is no telling what i am gonna find.
You can pay more but you cant buy better.
wickedinhere
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by wickedinhere »

Well finally got back to my project and got some more of the door jam back together. I also found a small rust hole below the kick panel vent with some more caulk filling. More to come its starting to cool some what so i dont have to work in a sauna. I should have this side of the cab finished by the end of the week.
wickedinhere
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by wickedinhere »

Well i finally got back on my project today i got the drivers side floor pan in so i got started on the hood fiberglass work. The hood has been the worst part trying to repair the rust, i had to cut alot of metal off of the hood by the seam. I would have loved to find a good hood but i searched hi and low in my area and could not find one. I cut out 4 different areas and had hell welding in patches due to how thin the metal was because of the rust. The worst is done so hopefully no more hidden rust here are a few pics more to come i am getting back in the groove.
FreakysFords
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by FreakysFords »

lookin good bud.

Frank
Darlin 69 Ranger 390 4v, PS, DS II, disc front, 3G alternator, 67 mirror.
wickedinhere
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by wickedinhere »

The more i sand the hood the more rust i find will it ever end? I found 4 more rust holes oh well i am getting practice on my body work and if i ruin the hood its no big loss.
stephen44
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by stephen44 »

nice work - very similar to what I am doing :D

on the rear corners - have you thought about what you are going to do for the inner panels as you can't buy those ?

- Stephen
wickedinhere
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by wickedinhere »

I dont know what i am going to do about the inside of the cab corners i know mine are rusted. I might just spray foam it and call it a day.LOL Not really.
wickedinhere
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by wickedinhere »

Well i turned the hood over and got some more work done today. i hope to have it finished and primed tuesday or wednesday.
wickedinhere
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by wickedinhere »

Well i took my stock wheels to the powder coater to get them blasted and coated flat black. I go to pick them up and they look like crap, he told me it was because of the rust. They looked like someone put metal shaving on my wheels then coated over them. He said thats the best he could do because of the rust i told him if its rust it would just be pitting not pieces sticking
up off the wheel. I left without my wheels because i refused to pay for something that looked so bad. He also coated them gloss black not flat black like i asked him and verified 3 times before i left.
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

Sorry to hear about your problem w/ your powder-coater, if he's a decent guy I'm sure he'll try and make things right. Other than that though your truck is really coming on along and looking god too if I may add :thup:, I'm happy to see your hood turning out so well as mine is just as bad in a lot of places :doh:. Hopefully you and your powder-coating guy can get things straightened out and you can continue to make some more progress :thup:.
Casey
16 years old with a 40 year old truck (well almost)
1971 F-100302, T-18 4 speed, 3:55 rear, & an Edelbrock sticker on the ashtray.
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Value what you DO have over that which you don't."- Forrestbump
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
1984 Toyota 4x4: 22-R, 5-speed, 3" suspension lift, 35's and 5:29's
wickedinhere
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by wickedinhere »

Quick update MORE HOOD RUST i found it when i took the hood down to bare metal.
wickedinhere
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by wickedinhere »

Got the hood done this morning its been a long battle but i have it whipped for now.
I ended up patching 12 rust spots ranging from x-large to medium sized.
I took it down to bare metal and found all kind of filler i ended up fixing about 6 spots not counting the rust.
I sealed it up then put 3 coats of 2k primer and it turned out pretty good the body work isnt perfect but with
my patina paint job you will never notice. I took a pic of the new wheels i will be using they will be flat black with a chrome smooth center cap.
guerra
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by guerra »

Wow great job on the hood :thup: you do good body work. nice shop too lots of room. wished i had lots of room :x
1967 f-100 lwb 360/c6
1969 f-100 swb 351/c6 (project)
wickedinhere
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by wickedinhere »

Thanks, the hood was the biggest problem with the truck so hopefilly the rest will go smoothly.