Fordmans 71 4wd woods truck

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Fordmans 71 4wd woods truck

Post by fordman »

i don't know yet. i should be until about 12-2 sometime. if this thing is running we are off to the woods to cut wood and test it out. i forgot i have to put the grille on it too. not a big deal i should have it going today i hope. i just need a second pair of hands to hold the grille while i bolt it on.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

edit. i couldn't still find my trapeze linkage for the carb or all the straight rod stuff and spring. i am tired of losing stuff for this truck.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

i have one and a half sets of the linkage. i'm sure we can make a good set out of what i got.
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i wasnt sure if you had any or not. i thought you may have gotten rid o fit. i could only find the part the bolts to the intake. no rods. and i think it came from a mustang. it looks slightly smaller than what i remember them looking like.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i got the battery tray bolted down. i put the battery in put the grill on and the lower valance. i put the passenger arm rest on and the glove box liner back in as well as plugged in the anteena wire to the stock radio. i also grounded the headlight wiring hraness to the core support. the truck sat without a hood on it for a little this summer. it got water in the carb. guess what that water did in the winter time. it froze. so the engine wont turn over now. i was able to drain out the oil pan of the water but i couldn't get the engine to turn over. i had a good battery giving it a good jolt from the starter but it won't turn. i even tried using a socket to turn the crank and it wouldn't budge. i guess i am going to have to get the engine warm so it will melt the ice in the cylinders. then i need to put the gas pedal linkage on which i still cant find. all of either type. this truck isnt much it is just something to get me in and out of the mud and snow to cut wood. it doesnt look pretty and it isnt all bolted down like a show truck would be. maybe this summer i will put all the bolts back in it and tighten them all the way down. i do hate doing half aced work. butthis has to get em through some how. only getting enough wood for one week isnt doing it for me. i need more time to get other things done.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

i got the linkage. i'll post pics later, but you know what a trapeze looks like anyways. i'll be down tomorrow.
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i forgot i go tthe radiator and shroud in to. i dont know why it had to have the special radiator brackets to work right. unless the fan spacer was different on the orginal engine. with a 2wd radiator and a fan shroud the 2wd engine fan spacer lined up correctly half in an half out of the shroud. well not exactly half but it is where it is suppose to be at.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

has all the clips and is complete.

ImageImageImage
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

that looks great. it could find the bracket in the other truck either. i was pretty sure i brought it home once i removed it from the other engine.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

If you have a cylinder or more full of water it'd be a good idea to pull the spark plugs when you first crank it over to blow the water out. That'll keep you from hydro-locking the engine and bending a rod.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

all the ice it out of the engine finally. i let it sit for a extra day after i pulled the plug again and found more water. i then put an electric heater on the front axle right up almost against the pan and made sure it was all gone. i then put the rear driveshaft back in it. i had to take it back off before i relized i forgot to phase it. so i didnt get it all the way in the first time. im glad i remembered that. i also put the oil in it. made sure the radiator was closed. and then put the anitfreeze in it. i then attempted to start it. i am now getting gas and fuel but the battery isnt as good as i thought it was. so tomorrow will tell for sure.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

So, now that it's running, what's next? Do you have an exhaust for it? Getting close to her maiden voyage?
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i drove it to the gas station yesterday. loud as heck. i have exhaust pipe but nothing i can figure out how to put together. i need a copy or a photo or something of the original pipe. i have the passenger side. i can even buy a new passenger side. but i cant do anything with the drivers side. i was looking at it again today. i have no idea what to do. i dont know which way the pipe should route to hook up.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

of course like everyone else i am crazy about wanting to drive it. but i dont want a ticket or to burn out an exhaust valve.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

ok after talking to chris last night he said to check out the headlight switch and or the brake light switch. becuase the tail lights or brake lights were staying on and running down the battery. the first thing i checked was the brake light switch. i just unplugged it. and the brake lights went out. i had a used brake light switch. i put that in and the brake lights stayed off. so i fixed it. i then had it running while i was checking out all of the other electrical stuff. headlights blinkers hazards cigar lighter and so forth. i flipped the aux tank switch. this cab was a cs. the fuel gauge started to move to empty. so i figured the switch worked. i flipped it back to main. and the gas gauge didnt come back to 1/4 tank. so the switch must be stuck internally. i need to disconnect it and remove it anyway. i came back into the house to get the diagrams to see how to competely disconnect it. and i got caught up in some other stuff.

i have doen soem thinking last night. on how to get my exhuast hooked up and working. i was thinking if i can get a piece that is long enough. that comes off a fe manifold. i can then maybe take a over the axle pipe and flip it and shorten it to get past the bell housing. then i would have to use another over the axle piece to go under the transfer case. i think that may work. i was able to find soem brand new mufflers and exhaust pipes from a 79 with headers and a 351m in it at the junkyard. i can probably put duals on this turkc if it all works out with the over the axle pieces.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.