1969 F250 Camper Special Ranger

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1969 F250 Camper Special Ranger

Post by ToughOldFord »

Yes, I'm inclined to agree; the new ones do seem to be, uh, designed, a bit better? :lol: :thup:

Started on the other side yesterday, but it started raining so I didn't get too far. If it holds back today I'll try to get more done.
1969 F250 Ranger Camper Special. 390, NP435, 3:73s.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. -Thomas Jefferson
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Just finished the right side. No more smoke.
Got a carb kit ordered.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. -Thomas Jefferson
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Finally, back on the road. Checked all brakes and wheel bearing, ended up replacing a bearing and race and a wheel cylinder.
I'm DONE with dicking around with Holl*y carbs, after wasting tons of time on it, out it comes. I bought a new Edelbrock 1406; man worked right out of the box. Only a mild adjustment of A/F and idle. I am finally Holl*y free and the truck runs fabulous.
Drives well too, been using it for nearly a week now. Looks like I need a high pressure hose for the power steering, but everything else is doing well. And zero loading up with smoke with the new valve seals and a properly working carburetor.

I've never placed an order with Dennis Carpenter before, but it looks like he has a few small items I could use on my interior. If I do I'll report how it turns out.

Looks like Photobucket died, I'll try to attach an engine pic to this post and see how it comes out.
PA140225.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Glad to hear that the truck is up and working!
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

As many know our poorly run state of California was deviated with fires last year, the Camp Fire took out the city of Paradise and killed over 80 people. The Carr fire took out the town of Keswick.

The Carr fire got too close for comfort, my parents were evacuated so I took them in. Then the evacuations nearly got to my home. In fact, they were declared for the area, but not yet enforced completely before they were later pulled.

One of the many decisions to be made was vehicle related. My wife doesn't drive, my Dad had his own car, and if we had to leave obviously I was going to take the travel trailer so we'd have a place to stay.
The most valuable truck I could have pulled the trailer with was my w*rk truck, but if I was possibly going to lose everything and only save one vehicle it sure as hell wasn't going to be a company truck.
My '85 F250 diesel would have been my next choice, but it was in the process of being repaired. So that left the bump.
So I start to get the '69 ready for possible evacuation. Start it up and I'm smelling fuel. Lots of fuel.
I had suspected previously the fuel pump was failing, the truck would lose its prime when it sat for a few days, but using it there was no problem.
Well, the pump picked that time to die. So there I was, it's hotter than Hades out, you can hardly see through the smoke, ash is coming from the sky, the state is burning down and there's no power. And my truck is puking raw fuel on the ground. :x
Fortunately Autozone actually had the pump in stock, but the local store had been evacuated so I had to go further in town to get it.
Got the new pump installed, got the truck and trailer ready, but thankfully the evacuations began to be pulled and the fire didn't get any closer to us. The parent's house was okay too.

Yeah, it was kind of rough, but we had it easy compared to what others when through, so no complaints.
And at least our politicians have our backs; our forests are out of control, most of the lumber mills have shut down, but by golly they've banned plastic straws and bags! :x