69 f-100 short bed coyote swap now Project Howlin'

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: 69 f-100 short bed coyote swap now Project Howlin'

Post by IN2FORD »

Perfectly clear thanks again!!

Barry
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

Had one little snag on my vintage air controls. I originally bought the gen IV sure fir model for a 69 camaro . well 69 camaros use three sliders so the vintage air computer was set for three pots, wouldn't accept tthe conversion switch for the fan blower speed control. So I bought a rotary switch machined it to take the stock knob problem solved.
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

daytime view

nite

ac panel

redlinemotorsportts

Post by redlinemotorsportts »

Trucks stance looks really good, what all is left to do? Is that black floor mat one secion, and is it carpet or like a rubber mat? Where in NY are you? Im in waterloo.
'71 f100, 4.6 dohc, cab off, cv swap, IRS, and broke.
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

Thanks I'm real happy with the stance, Ride seems good the little bit I've driven it. The carpet is one piece comes with that vinyl rubber mat built in on the driver's side by the gas pedal. I still have to get some good floor mats to protect it. What has to be done on the truck? Little things like mount the ac condenser and run the lines, put the hood on, rear bumper and figure out what I want for exhaust tips. I might go thru the bed side or I might do boom tubes, Its quiet at idle but at 2500 you know it has dual 3" exhaust, plus the back wheels tend to break loose then too. I still need to update pics of interior but I keep forgetting the camera.
Last edited by 48prerunner on Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

I hope the ac is worth it mounting the condenser has been a real pain. I wanted to be able to remove the rad core support with out unhooking the ac lines but its just too tight between the core support mount and the condenser fittings. I'll either have to drill a hole in the support where it bolts to the frame or go with a narrower condenser.
jneely

Post by jneely »

I've recently started in on a strikingly similar project. I have a 68 F100 SWB, Crown Vic front end a complete T-45 set up.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the Coyote, but I did take quite a few measurements to put off engine purchase until the last thing. It's expensive, for one, but I want to make the most of the warranty coverage period. In any case, it's very difficult to measure, but I'm afraid of the oil pan contacting the crossmember using the original Crown Vic engine mounts. Did you make any sort of shims, spacers or offset mounts to bolt the engine to the crossmember?

How are the exhaust manifold clearances to the steering shaft and framerails?

Any help appreciated.
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

jneely wrote:I've recently started in on a strikingly similar project. I have a 68 F100 SWB, Crown Vic front end a complete T-45 set up.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the Coyote, but I did take quite a few measurements to put off engine purchase until the last thing. It's expensive, for one, but I want to make the most of the warranty coverage period. In any case, it's very difficult to measure, but I'm afraid of the oil pan contacting the crossmember using the original Crown Vic engine mounts. Did you make any sort of shims, spacers or offset mounts to bolt the engine to the crossmember?

How are the exhaust manifold clearances to the steering shaft and framerails?

Any help appreciated.
You don't have to worry about eating up your warranty I've talked with ford racing reps a few times and they said it doesnt start until you start the engine write down the date and then when you start to drive it write down the milage. He said they have had only one person that had a problem with the crate engine. It was one of my biggest concerns. He also said the t-45 will be fine unless I plan on pulling the front wheels up.
I know what you mean about measuring thats why I finally gave in and bought one. As it was my trans mount ended up being farther forward than I planned. The oil pan does make contact with the crossmember that was my biggest freak out, as I was one of the first to try it. Crestwood changed pans to a 2valve 4.6 drilled two holes, back three years ago everybody told me it wouldn't fit. Plus I didn't know what it would do to warranty and didn't have a pan to check fit, So I moved the engine back and up and to the drivers side. Think I am 1.5" back 1/2" to driverside and 2" up. I could go back farther but then shifter would be back too far and the cop car crown vic drive shaft would need to be shortened. I just made my mounts out of 2x 4 tubing. also used an oil filter for a caddy .
Last edited by 48prerunner on Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

as off the truck

after vinegar soak

powder coat shot

powdercoat cured
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

So you soaked those in just straight vinegar?
Barry
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

IN2FORD wrote:So you soaked those in just straight vinegar?
Barry
Yes bought a plastic tub big enough to fit hinge and then bought 6 gallons of white vinegar at Sams dropped them in one at a time let soak. You have to clean any grease or oil off first or during the first rinse. I took a couple rinse and soaks to get all the rust, But I'm very happy with results, I've had parts break after electrolysis, and i didnt want to deal with cleaning abrasive out of the joints.
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

Finally got the AC charged up. The people at Vintage Air are awesome was not sure if my trinary switch was bad, talked with them at the right coast nationals and they hooked me up.
interior views

I used 2005-2009 mustang dash vents in the f600 gauge cluster wanted an on column tach look

Awesome deal on this $40 at swapmeet just needed a switch and hoses. Is over $600 new. I bought a whole new gauge set.

I ran all the hoses under inner fender for a cleaner look. This is a ranger heat control valve needed with coyote. The coyote needs constant flow thru heater hoses to cool head. Vintage air shuts heat off in max air, I also used a electric to vacuum switch to close it.

48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

got plates on. And THEN.... the speeddial and the electric speedo were driving me crazy, after two days of checking wires and changing parts it needed a ground, have no clue how it worked when I first hooked it up. One side of the speed sensor needed to be wired to ground, that fixed everything :woohoo: the early versions of the control pack for the coyote need the speed dial to tell the computer the truck is in motion so it doesnt stall when you let off the gas.

Its fast, I still havent gotten over 2500 rpms. storm was coming and I just got the fix working so didnt want to run too far.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Great work!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Bronco_77

Post by Bronco_77 »

I seen u said u did the explorer disc swap on ur 9 inch is it a straight forward bolt on swap or is there anything else u have to do on them. Thanks for any help I'm stuck on which way to go for disc swaps and everyone tells me something different.
68 f100 390 3 speed on the collom G maw gave to me G paw drove in late 70s till late 80s
77 bronco 302 lifted 5.5 with 33s and rears cut
69 Mustang boss 302 clone bought when was 14 sold when was 28 to build house