An Arkansas Rescue Mission

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

cold-steel22

Post by cold-steel22 »

In January of 2011 I found a 1967 F100 listed for sale on Craigslist near Little Rock, Arkansas. The seller was asking $900 for a running, complete short-bed pickup. I had known that I wanted to purchase and restore one of these old trucks for awhile. I had grown up in my father's 71 Custom, learning to drive in one. While searching the internet for info (dangerous), I found Fordification.. Even found a post about the truck I was looking at where other members were eyeing the ad. So I called the guy up and told him I would be out to look at the truck the next day. Next day comes and my father and I head down the hill on a road trip. 200 miles later we had survived a trip through Memphis and the flatlands of Eastern Arkansas...
We arrived at the old man's shop to see the truck parked out front waiting for us. In the same moment, I experienced a sinking feeling and a wave of excitement. There was no front or rear bumper on the truck, the original grille was beat to hell and back, the windshield wipers were missing, and the hood had a layer of bondo thick enough to skate on. The PO(s) had pop-riveted sheet metal into the floor boards over existing rust, and then slathered the remainder of the bondo can contents onto the edges.. This created a breeding ground for rust. Ergo, the original pans were long gone. But it had a lot of promise, and I was up for a challenge. Without even haggling, the seller said he would take $700 for the truck. I think he was dumbfounded that I had driven from Middle TN.
Everybody looked at me like I was crazy when I said I was driving it away.. The plan was to drive it down the highway to Forrest City, AR. I have a cousin there, and I figured i would drive it to their house til I could come back with a car hauler....
1967 Ford F100 SWB project
Project Thread: http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=70519
mcheath

Re: An Arkansas Rescue Mission

Post by mcheath »

Nice looking truck from this angle. Short beds seem to command more money in my neck of the woods than long beds. Probably couldn't touch it here for less than 1500 since it is a shorty. Long beds will go for less than a grand if they are beat pretty bad.
cold-steel22

Post by cold-steel22 »

So after paying the bill and leaving them scratching their heads, I set off down the highway in my newly purchased old truck. I had driven it prior to buying, and noticed a slight pull to the left when braking.. As my trip progressed however, I noticed that the pull was more radical than previously noted.. During emergency braking situations, the driver front wheel would lock up completely. This would result in a radical lane shift. This was not helped by the manual steering/brake combo with full inch of slop in the steering wheel. As i ventured further down the road, I began to question my own decision to drive this death trap.. But I was committed at that point, so I mastered the art of anticipating and correcting for the Kamikaze dive.
I made it to Forrest City to find that my cousin was out of town. I couldn't get to his house anyway due to ice on the roads... Apparently Arkansas had a fairly significant ice storm the night before i drove out. The National Guard had been activated for emergency relief in Western Arkansas where my cousin was stuck.. I found this out when I finally got ahold of him. He told me I should probably wait a week or so before coming out.. Thanks, but too late.
Faced with my options I decided I might as well make a run for the border. By this time I had figured out the brake situation and was doing ok. I threw on a carhartt overall set, another jacket and headed East bound and down. By this time my father had given up all hope for rational decisions and was along for the ride.. Behind me in a car with heat.
After the sun went down I realized there were some nice sized cracks in the corners of the windshield weatherstripping that allowed fresh air into the cab! The hits just keep on coming.. I've survived a lot of things in my life, from college to combat. Now I'm starting to think I'm going to die in East Arkansas in a ditch because I either ran off the road or froze to death inside this green coffin. Either I'm crazy, stupid, or a mixture of both, but my determination would not let me quit willingly.
Finally we make West Memphis, AR and pass back through Memphis with no issues.. Sidebar--I deployed to Ramadi, Iraq in 2005 for a year. The insurgents shot mortars at us daily. I lived in Memphis for two years as a kid.. I would rather live in Ramadi.--
After leaving Memphis things were going well.. We'd been driving down the interstate at 60-65 mph with no issues. I was having a blast. I really wanted a three speed column shift, manual steering/brake setup. Power brakes take the feel out of the pedal, which I believe takes a lot away from the driver in connectability with the vehicle. Some manufacturers do a good job at balancing the boost assist, but overall I hate a spongy brake pedal and power steering box.
So things are great... Until my engine seized just outside Jackson, TN. It started with a miss which rapidly progressed to a wild bucking and billowing smoke. According to the spectators behind me, the smoke exiting from beneath my new old truck was manipulated by the spinning drive shaft and resembled the WW2 footage of fighter planes spiralling to the ground as they were shot down. Needless to say, my trip was halted... 40 miles from home. A tow truck pulled me off the interstated before the highway patrol could have a field day with me. I returned the next day to the tow-in lot to collect my ride. My father has vowed to NEVER go with me to purchase a vehicle again...
Hitching a ride the last few miles home..
Garage at home
Last edited by cold-steel22 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
cold-steel22

Post by cold-steel22 »

Thanks Mcheath. The body really is in decent shape. It has the common issues, but they are manageable. Since I purchased this the price has risen here as well. I think people have really started turning to these trucks more in the past two years.
cold-steel22

Post by cold-steel22 »

I have been reading through Fordification since I bought the truck. I've used the experience and advice that other people have left in order to plot out what I would do with my project. I determined that I would do all the work that I realistically could myself.

Sandblasting sucks.. Sandblasting with a 15 gallon air compressors really sucks. It's possible.. I don't recommend it.

I used KBS coating.. Their product appears to be the same as POR 15. I'm impressed

I set the cab back on the frame to work on the floorpans. Frame has all new suspension bushing/steering components. Red Head Steering Gear rebuild

If you are thinking of using Bondo/fiberglass, or riveting sheet metal over your rust, PLEASE DON"T

Moisture settles between the old metal and the new surface, causing the rust to just go crazy. My entire driver side floorpan had to be cut out as well as most of the passenger pan.

New mounts and pans from NPD.. Fast shipping, and they combined the parts to save on freight cost. Still packaged them well. DC cab mounts and Taiwan pans. Same stuff DC sells.

Bought these butt weld clamps at Harbor Freight for about $5. They did great for this job. I'm using a Hobart Handler 140 w/ mix gas and .025 wire. I started with a 3" cut off air tool.. Of course my 15 gallon compressor didn't have the cahones to run it.. So I bought a Harbor Freight electric cut off wheel for $20. That worked ok, but it was going slow still. So I bought the cut off wheel for an angle grinder... That thing will cut sheet metal like it's nothing. You just can't get carried away.

After welding the passenger pan in and smoothing the welds down.. I epoxy primered the bare metal and will go over the welds with some body filler to help hide them.. The metal on the wall next to the pans had also rusted. I had to patch that. I'll see if I can get a picture.

Passenger side done..
Last edited by cold-steel22 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good day Cold-Steel22,

I'm enjoying your writing and photos very much! Thanks for putting the effort in.

Robroy
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

Your making good progress! I liked your story of try to get the truck home, I'm sure a lot of us could relate. If not, I do know as you make the maiden voyage in a new vehicle, it always crosses your mind that things could fail. Keep up the good work!
Last edited by popeyes71 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Great story and great truck! Keep up the good work.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
cole71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cole71 »

Sounds like some of my luck, but keep at it though!
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jimmy828 »

looks like you are moving along pretty good there. Keep up the good work. :thup:
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Great story. Keep up the work and let us know what happens. I'm on the edge of my seat - not really.
19ford71

Post by 19ford71 »

Looks like its coming along great. I look forward to future updates!
1971 F-250 360 ci automatic trans - sold
Currently working on a 1969 F100
kf7mjf
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by kf7mjf »

Great truck and good work! Keep it coming
1967 F-100 Ranger
tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tylerb43 »

Subscribed! Great work so far! I often check out Arkansas/Memphis CL for bumps, thinking that they're all in better shape than what I can find around here, but I guess I shouldn't make such an assumption. Awesome story, sounds like something I would get myself into! :lol:
fbomb100
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fbomb100 »

great story so far,,, lets see how it turns out.. :thup: