68 F-100 SWB 2wd 351w Auto - projects

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

JIMO2

Re: 68 F-100 SWB 2wd 351w Auto - projects

Post by JIMO2 »

SSW wrote:On the 91 E4OD has a speedometer cable, the VSS is there. I lucked out with 91, I think it is the only year that had the speedometer gear on the output shaft. I also got a speedometer cable from Tom's bronco parts that works with the VSS & old style speedometer. the sensor in the 91 8.8 rear end was wired to the antilock brakes. I do have a 91 factory wiring diagram to confirm.
Antilock brakes...that's possible. The only reason I brought it up is that a friend just had his 8.8 rebuilt and put it back in and the trans was all screwed up. As it turned out, from what he told me, the shop never put the inductor ring in the rear so the sensor didn't do anything (93-96 truck). Good to know about the speedo cable. Good deal on the VSS location. I am just starting to get into the later drivetrain stuff. I ask only to start to try to understand how it all works and what is available.
I plan to use my c-6 and if I go EFI, I am thinking there is an aftermarket vss and cable kit that I can use...is that also available from Tom's Bronco parts?
Thanks'
Jim
Jim

"I love it when a plan comes together"
SSW

Post by SSW »

Yes it is available at Tom's http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/ ... ord-bronco

Probably use your existing speedo gear. I did my rear end ratio was correct 3.50.
JIMO2

Post by JIMO2 »

SSW, awesome! As far as the gear, yeah... that has to already be the wrong one in my truck. The speedo definitely reads high currently. I have a few gears laying around to try.
Thanks for the info.
Jim
Jim

JIMO2

Post by JIMO2 »

Wow, it has been almost 5 years since a post! I have been just driving the truck and have not done much other than rubbed it down with boiled linseed oil. It gave it a different look and I was pleased.

Currently the tranny is out and if someone near northern NJ has a small block C-6 with a 14" tail that is a working unit, I may be interested. Otherwise, my C-6 is off to the rebuilder. I was quoted between $1100 to $1500. It has been working fine other than the fact that it has "morning sickness" or delayed engagement of drive first thing of the day. the rest of the day, it would be fine until the colder weather set in. It has been getting worse and Lucas additive got me this far. It is time.

Interesting, when I pulled it, I think I discovered why I have a noisy starter (it has been bothering me since I got the truck). It seems as if there is a C-4 flexplate in the truck. I have what I believe to be a C-6 flexplate that I had in my coffers for 30 years! I did a side by side comparison. There are offset differences. Maybe you guys can chime in to confirm my findings. See picture (from the truck is on the left, from storage is on the right). It is amazing what happens over the years when things get swapped and rearranged as to the errors that happen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Thanks for update! Missed your build first time around. Lot of good info here! 8)
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

Great looking truck you have! I wasn't around back then so I'm glad you updated us on your truck project. What you have going on with your trans is a common thing for a C6. The seals in all the pistons in that apply the clutches have hardened up so the fluid just blows past them when you put it in drive and it tries to apply the clutches. You probably notice it more on very cold days and less on really warm days. Once you get heat in the trans then all is well for the most part. With that said you do have a really tired C6 that is in need of a rebuild for sure.

Good luck with it and keep us posted!
"Don't believe everything you see and read on the internet." Abe Lincoln
1972 F100 custom SWB 302/C4 Auto PS No AC Wimbledon white and rusty..
JIMO2

Post by JIMO2 »

sargentrs wrote:Thanks for update! Missed your build first time around. Lot of good info here! 8)
Thank you. I am glad you liked it. I also thank you for the reply on my transmission search quest. I decided to drop mine off at a rebuild shop.

Jim
Jim

JIMO2

Post by JIMO2 »

The Bandit wrote:Great looking truck you have! I wasn't around back then so I'm glad you updated us on your truck project. What you have going on with your trans is a common thing for a C6. The seals in all the pistons in that apply the clutches have hardened up so the fluid just blows past them when you put it in drive and it tries to apply the clutches. You probably notice it more on very cold days and less on really warm days. Once you get heat in the trans then all is well for the most part. With that said you do have a really tired C6 that is in need of a rebuild for sure.

Good luck with it and keep us posted!
Bandit, thank you. Yes I was told that about the seals and for one with similar issues, they can be assured that the Lucas additive does in fact help. The truck was so bad 5 years ago I almost pulled the trans then. The Lucas gave me extra time. I decide to drop the c-6 off at a rebuilder yesterday. More to come.
Jim
Jim

JIMO2

Post by JIMO2 »

So the C-6 transmission has been dropped off at the rebuilder to remedy the lazy engagement. I pulled the converter out to make the trans lighter and also to inspect the hub. As I mentioned above, upon removal of said trans, I found the incorrect flexplate installed, one I believe to be for a C-4 (one on the left in the above pic). So looking at the hub (in the pic below), I can see the wear marks which suggest that the offset of the "as found" flexplate was indeed not correct. So, I just torqued on what I believe to be the correct flexplate for the C-6 (the one on the right in the pic above). They are both 164 tooth. Now it is just the starter motor I have to figure out if it is correct!
IMG_4784sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim

hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Any updates?
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
JIMO2

Post by JIMO2 »

Well, it has been some months since the last update and I have been driving the truck. The rebuilt C-6 was put back in after the re-builder was done with it. The now proper flywheel was used (the bluish one in the pic above) and the one that was actually found installed in the truck was put into storage (I think it to be for a C-4). After 13 quarts of dex3 fluid, it went down the road. The shifting was waay too early and it even seemed to start off in 2nd gear a few times. I went after the modular valve adjustment. I went 2 turns C.W. based on what I read in other places. That was actually perfect. 2 whole turns does alot so be warned. The trans shifts perfect now. It always had an early shift before and I wish I knew it was that easy to change that with a twist of a screw. The only issue that I ran into was with the starter. I was fairly sure that I had the correct one (truck was a mutt if you are keeping track) and on the first drive, only on hard acceleration up a hill, I could hear a jingling sound similar to that of a bendix and flywheel interference. It was not grinding, but just kissing lightly under load. Along this journey, I had done measurements of the flywheel and bendix gear clearances and I have to say, less than 1/16" was calculated when the starter gear was at rest. SO, what I surmised was happening and end up reading out there was that Ford had made a .100" starter shim at one point for starter clearance issues that were associated with high mileage engines. It was like a service bulletin or similar. It stated something to the effect, upon driving, the worn thrust bearings in a Ford v-8 allows the crankshaft to walk back and forth. IIRC, I think the 351W was listed and is what I have. In certain situations, the starter gear could interfere. Affected models IIRC were into the 1990's. There was also a part number given to this part but no luck finding a Ford one. But, HELP or Dorman makes one and I installed it and problem solved. It puts the starter .100 inches further forward thus increasing the gear resting position clearance. Of all the Fords I have played with over the years (20+) I never had to shim a starter in one!
Jim

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Thanks for posting that about the starter and transmission! Never knew that. Glad she's behaving for you. :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
JIMO2

Post by JIMO2 »

sargentrs wrote:Thanks for posting that about the starter and transmission! Never knew that. Glad she's behaving for you. :thup:
Thank you and I never knew that either LOL!
Jim

hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Great to hear another bump is still being used and enjoyed.
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
JIMO2

Post by JIMO2 »

hfdco4 wrote:Great to hear another bump is still being used and enjoyed.
Thank you for poking me to update the "log" . It gets driven any day it is not raining and or no salt on the roads. The best part is, with the patina, there is no real reason to ever have to wash the truck!
Jim