Camper Project

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Dl7316

Camper Project

Post by Dl7316 »

Only place I have ever posted for tech info for my 72 F100 and have always received strong feedback.
However, my new project is this dome top 1965 Supervan Camper and I am just now starting to dabble in my options. I don't know if any of you guys on here know much or if there is a forum you can recommend for me. Its a rust free shell, clean slate ready for modification. healthy condition pop top and no engine. The 240 six blew years ago and was pulled. It's in pieces and suffered water damage. The auto tranny in it is healthy, was rebuilt not long before losing the engine. I was wondering what my options are for bolting up to the current transmission. I know the 240 and 300 blocks should be a direct bolt up and I've heard mixed things about 302/351 family being able to bolt in with a little welding. I was recommended to update the front end for a better ride as well. Would a 4.9 EFI be a good possible idea? Or just a headache. I would like to know what others have done in the past that worked out well. Thanks you guys!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972 F-100, 360FE matching numbers
1965 Econoline supervan camper (project)
1983 Mercedes 300d Turbo
motzingg
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Camper Project

Post by motzingg »

YES!!

the 4.9 EFI would be an awesome choice, but you may have to do some trimming as it has a very large intake manifold wrapping around and over the head. Not a problem in the trucks, but it is about 8 inches taller.

The motor mounts will need a little trimming, as the new block casting hits the old motor mounts, but it is 5 minutes with an angle grinder, no big deal.

If you can pull one from a junkyard with the trans and everything attached, you'll be well ahead of the game. The crossmember might have to move, but you can use the old transmission mount and bolt it to the new transmission, if it is the same as the one i just did.

The EEC-4 computer is minimally integrated into the chassis, its pretty easy to see what wires are important and which ones to cut. If you go with an electric automatic trans you'll probably want the engine wiring harness and trans wiring harness from the same vehicle, they talk to each other, but its not like a modern car where the damn thing wont start unless the gauges are connected correctly or something.

I'd say go for it. I love the 'big six' and would love to have one in an old van, perfect powerplant and you'll probably get relatively good gas mileage.
Dl7316

Post by Dl7316 »

motzingg wrote:YES!!

The EEC-4 computer is minimally integrated into the chassis, its pretty easy to see what wires are important and which ones to cut. If you go with an electric automatic trans you'll probably want the engine wiring harness and trans wiring harness from the same vehicle, they talk to each other, but its not like a modern car where the damn thing wont start unless the gauges are connected correctly or something.
This is the only thing that scares me... I am enthusiast about the idea of this. Solid wiring diagrams available I assume. Benefits of EFI vs hunting down a carb'd 60's consumer or industrial 300? I assume no way to utilize the original trans already bolted and ready to go. Do you have links to the project you just finished? I'd love to see!!
1983 Mercedes 300d Turbo
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Cool critter. EFI wiring is the easiest part of the swap. Getting it to fit under the dog house may be tougher. Fuel out and back isn't a big deal, just weld another bung onto the tank for the return line and run 5/16" brake line to it.

I'd spend some quality time in a junkyard taking pics and measuring the size of a EFI 4.9 before moving forward.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Dl7316

Post by Dl7316 »

Cool thanks guys, I am going to try to cruise the junkyard on monday and take some pictures/measurements I will post progress and pictures and expect a ton of questions!
1983 Mercedes 300d Turbo
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

That's cool! I'd keep it simple and original with a 6 banger. :D
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.