Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Pepper2829

Re: Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post by Pepper2829 »

I'd be interested to know what magazine, would like to see it.
Thanks
2013 Ford Explorer Limited
2005 Ford F350 Lariat - crew/short/6.0L
1972 F100 Sport Custom - reg/short 429/C6 crown vic/Explorer rear
1968 Mercury Cyclone GT 390 - in family since new
1954 Chevrolet pickup - 350/T5 mustangII/Explorer rear
ckcorder

Post by ckcorder »

I will swing by and see if i can find it!
FrankZX

Post by FrankZX »

Been in class for 2 weeks and reread your complete build the second time! Where did you get your air splitter/front spoiler? Any updated Sean?
Pepper2829

Post by Pepper2829 »

He made the spoiler.

Any luck on that magazine article??

Thanks
Pepper2829

Post by Pepper2829 »

There's a shot of your truck in Februarys copy of Street truck magazine.
Checkin out your tank?
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

I am so impressed with this build - amazing stuff!
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

What is you're end opinion of building the rear lower control arm mounts at 45 degrees? would you do that again? I did that on my first frame but mine were much higher and I had to trim into the frame. This was one thing I didn't like and a reason I picked up a new frame to work...
eimkeith

Post by eimkeith »

hackster wrote:......and started on the mounting plates for the trailing arm. Going to keep them rotated on a 45 this time. I think its a little better packaging and I can get better alignment with them mounted correctly....the things you learn by building something a second time.

Since its a race car, its going to have to keep up with the speed holes and dimple dies =)

Little bit of paint on the old girl.

Researching for my conversion; would you do the trailing arm rear bushing mounts this way again, were you to do it over?
keith
'74 F100 - Ranger XLT/LWB/360
'96 4Runner | '75 RS/RSR-look | '67 Kaiser M715 | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B
eimkeith

Post by eimkeith »

devindastrup wrote:What is you're end opinion of building the rear lower control arm mounts at 45 degrees? would you do that again? I did that on my first frame but mine were much higher and I had to trim into the frame. This was one thing I didn't like and a reason I picked up a new frame to work...
yep - same question! :)
keith
'74 F100 - Ranger XLT/LWB/360
'96 4Runner | '75 RS/RSR-look | '67 Kaiser M715 | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B
poke em

Post by poke em »

eimkeith wrote:
devindastrup wrote:What is you're end opinion of building the rear lower control arm mounts at 45 degrees? would you do that again? I did that on my first frame but mine were much higher and I had to trim into the frame. This was one thing I didn't like and a reason I picked up a new frame to work...
yep - same question! :)

You could mount them flat, and reclock the actual bushing part to match the stock orientation. Theletup did it this way on his build, and after driving mine for 2 years with flat mounts I reclocked mine. It rides 10x better now, wish I would have done it sooner.
Dylan68

Post by Dylan68 »

hackster wrote:
Monkey-1 wrote:Great news to hear! Glad you got some miles on it today. Payoff for lots of hard work.
Thanks man and I totally agree. The weather was awesome and I loved it.
michael9218 wrote:This is good to hear. Congratulations!

I'm also curious how those non power brakes feel with those big rotors...
Thank you Michael. It feels good.

The non power brakes definately feel different. Not bad, just different. I took it out early this morning and wanted to see just how well they would bring the old truck to a stop. Got it up to about 50 or so, and hammered on the pedal. I guess I did not really expect it to stop that well. I was unable to get the tires to lock up so I guess I have some work still ahead of me, I also have some pretty sticky 275's all around. I have messed with the proportioning valve and the rears don't lock up I hope to do some more testing on these this week. Overall, it stops damn good. Better than expected considering my initial pedal feel thought they would.
IN2FORD wrote:That is awesome! I have never seen someone build a truck so fast! Just wondering if you could come to TN and have mine done by next weekend! :lol:

Barry
Thanks, I have never built a truck this fast, I usually dont have a deadline and just build at my own pace. This was a lot different. You let me know when you want me to come out there, probably need a week though =)

Well, I had a pretty successful day yesterday. I was hearing a lot of noise from the passenger front wheel though when coming to a stop. I got home and jacked up that corner and looked things over. I found that I had overlooked a pretty hammered lower ball joint and a wasted wheel hub. So, parts got ordered and then this commenced last night.

I also got the opportunity as written above to hammer on the brakes a few times. Nothing broke =) Stops the truck pretty damn good. Also drove it this morning and the brake noise on the passenger side is all gone.

Had to do a bunch of other stuff today, a little emergency car rescue with the trailer for a buddy and some clean up around the house.

I pulled the passenger seat out and finally got around to putting the seatbelt on that side as well. I had found some paint for the brackets that I wanted to try, its satin dark walnut and Ill be damned if its not almost an exact match to the seat material. I was super happy with how that whole seat, seat bracket and seat belt turned out.

I also spent the time to build the brackets to hold the door switches and got those all wired up to the revolution electronics module for the soft on, delay, soft off. Got the under dash lights all installed and wired up as well.

I really dig the interior, its super clean and functional.

Took it over to the scales to see what I was working with. Full tank of gas in it and its right at 3500 lbs. Not too bad.

Gotta try and figure out the vibration tomorrow, get a better alignment on the old girl and work on the car trailer. 4 days to go till I gotta head to California.

Great build overall! By chance where did you get the door switches and can you provide any details on the bracket construction. Thanks!
jspd234

Post by jspd234 »

hi hackster! beautiful work!! i found your post! great write up!! im doing a 72 swb cv ifs tbird irs coyote swap!!!! how'd your shifter mod end up doing for you? im at that point and i like what you did! likes? dislikes? on the shortening of 5" of the mechanism? im going to do the same....any advise? thanks! jeff
72sb2wd
Bronco_77

Post by Bronco_77 »

I shortened my the same way it's real easy and it feels real good where it's at but I don't think ud be able to run a bench seat. I also didn't build the brace like he did I just used the rubber mustang bracket and bolted it to the floor. I think I have some pic on my build.
68 f100 390 3 speed on the collom G maw gave to me G paw drove in late 70s till late 80s
77 bronco 302 lifted 5.5 with 33s and rears cut
69 Mustang boss 302 clone bought when was 14 sold when was 28 to build house
jspd234

Post by jspd234 »

thanks for responding bronco77! yeah...i'd definitely like to see some pics if you can post them up!
72sb2wd