68 F250 - Western Australia

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Xfe-390

68 F250 - Western Australia

Post by Xfe-390 »

Hey all, been looking through the forums since I picked up my truck a few months ago. Thought I would chuck up some info an pics.

I don't know too much about these trucks other then they're fun to drive, this is my first ford, so there's a few slight differences from what I'm used to. But it's good fun learning and throwing spanners at it.

1968 F250 Camper
Factory 390
Factory c6
Factory power steer
Factory power brakes

So after about 5 days of owning it I had to drive it back to were I work and live, it's a 1610km drive, unfortuantly the drive wasn't without its excitement....I blew a hole in the manifold gasket about 3 hours into the drive.
So I've fixed that manifold gasket installing a fel-pro gasket, and replacing the bolts with ARP ones as I go.
Next I installed some autometer gauges, for a more accurate readout of what the motor is doing. I tried to match these as close as possible to the factory gauges.
After installing the gauges, it wouldn't start, after much swearing and head scratching I traced it to the starter solenoid, so that got replaced. Then the battery gave up, so I replaced that because I got sick of charging it and worked out my alternator isn't charging....so now it's time for a new alternator.
I'm looking at the 3G swap, but it's not as easy to go to the wreckers and grab one where I live, so I'll have to buy new.
I plan on installing thermo (electric) fans, as where I live it gets real hot, she's sweet when it's cruising, but when I stop the temp creeps up.

Anyway here's my truck, I'll try keep it updated as I change it up to my tastes, and fixing/upgrading things as it needs it.
lennyp
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: 68 F250 - Western Australia

Post by lennyp »

Looks great.
Uni Moe

Post by Uni Moe »

Nice truck. It' been lowered somehow. 390 is pretty rare with the 360 being most common. Externally they look the same. You can pull a spark plug and measure the stroke if you want to make sure it's the 390. I believe the 390 has a 3" stroke. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Very cool! Bike is awesome as well!!

Barry
Xfe-390

Post by Xfe-390 »

Thanks guys,
It has drop I-beam front, and a diff over conversion in the rear. All new bushes, shocks, rebuilt brakes etc underneath.

I'm definitely jealous of the CV front end swap a lot of you guys make look so easy. Maybe some independent suspension is on the cards one day.

Here's a quick few changes I did to the interior, chucked a Mexican blanket I had from a previous car in there, and re installed the factory wheel. Looks much better if you ask me....

And another pic for good measure...

Will be ordering the alternator tonight, I just hope I get the right one!! On summit, I just punched in a 1995 Tarus...
Xfe-390

Post by Xfe-390 »

Got some parts on the way. All electrical stuff, which is probably the side of cars / trucks I've had the least to do with, so it should be a good challenge and hopefully I can get it happening without burning the truck to the ground....

I've ordered:
130amp Bosch Alterntor
Thunderbird electric fan
Dakota digital fan controller

Stuff normally takes a week or two to get here from the US, so stay tuned. ps - postage is a killer!!!
guerra
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by guerra »

Thats a nice looking bump!! :thup:
1967 f-100 lwb 360/c6
1969 f-100 swb 351/c6 (project)
slitherfast

Post by slitherfast »

Nice looking truck. Looks like a good base to start from. I agree the stock wheel looks better on the truck than that junky looking one.