71 f100 frame repair advice

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

zacks bad ford

71 f100 frame repair advice

Post by zacks bad ford »

I need some wise advice on how the best way to go about fixing my chassis so the new front clip sits right and my front bumper is square and level. From what I measured the frame is only damaged in the obviously noticable spot. I was thinking of cutting it off and weld on a straight replacement piece. Although I'd prefer not to have to do this. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Last edited by zacks bad ford on Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
zacks bad ford

Re: 71 f100 frame repair advice

Post by zacks bad ford »

Won't let me post pics, says file is to large, even just one pic
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

The easiest way to post pics is to use a Photobucket account. There are tutorials at the top of each forum if you need help.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

It also helps if you let us know what year parts you are trying to swap around.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Ozblitz

Post by Ozblitz »

Im curious to hear everyones opinion, because Im having the same dilema. I have an extra right frame horn about 24" long to replace the bent frame i have. The frame can be knocked back into place, but the core supoort hole is pretty rusted and the replacement is like brand new? So not sure which way to go? The frame horn is off about 2 3/4 inches.
zacks bad ford

Post by zacks bad ford »

Still can't figure out the pictures..., so can u even post pics over a phone?
zacks bad ford

Post by zacks bad ford »

http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b40 ... ghruk3.jpg
http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b40 ... 63lba5.jpg
http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b40 ... vpxosw.jpg

Heres some links. I hope you guys can get my meaning. After the frame is fixed I was going to put the front clip of another 67-72 ford back on.
SATURN5

Post by SATURN5 »

You need to add tags around the url of the pic you want to post. Above the reply box you see the toolbar with all the shaded boxes? Click the one with Img in it. That will bring up the tags, and you paste the url in between them.

Ex (but without spaces)

[ i m g ] url [ / i m g ]

Bob
68 F100 Flareside, CVIFS, Cobra IRS, DOHC, M122, MS3, T45, 4.10, Cobra brakes
84 Mustang SVO, B234F, HE351, Full Cobra spec suspension and brakes including IRS, T-tops
96 Mark VIII, Complete chassis bracing, 03 Cobra wheels, Maruader converter, built trans.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Ideally you would mount the truck on jackstands so it sits level and compare the frame rails front to rear with a level to find where the damage begins. Once you find the limit of damage you bring the front stands up to before the bend and work the damage out from there. As you draw the damage out weld some 1" square tubing in place to help stabilize the good stuff and also to help focus your energy onto the bent area. Heat and force will be your friends. Focus on straightening small lengths of the frame from the good to the bad. It'll probably take a couple passes to get it tuned in and you'll learn a lot in the process. :thup:

You can do the cut and paste version to but you really need to ensure the frame is OK behind the damaged area. You only have to do this work once so take your time and go slow. :hmm:
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
zacks bad ford

Post by zacks bad ford »

Ok thank you for the advice, what is the best way to heat it up? Where exactly should I weld the one inch square tubing so it doesn't damage anything else?