1972 Ranger SWB Build

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Bronco_77

Re: 1972 Ranger SWB Build

Post by Bronco_77 »

I think it was flyboy who had a diagram posted on here with all the measurements on it that I printed off and used when I put my front end end in. My line up pins perty much ended up right between the two holes that are on the bottom of the frame and I'm happy with where my wheel sets in the opening you can see pics on my build. Texas know how on YouTube has a great set of videos of him doing the whole install step by step that I watched many times when I was putting mine in too.
68 f100 390 3 speed on the collom G maw gave to me G paw drove in late 70s till late 80s
77 bronco 302 lifted 5.5 with 33s and rears cut
69 Mustang boss 302 clone bought when was 14 sold when was 28 to build house
tbrown1986

Post by tbrown1986 »

Bronco_77 wrote:I think it was flyboy who had a diagram posted on here with all the measurements on it that I printed off and used when I put my front end end in. My line up pins perty much ended up right between the two holes that are on the bottom of the frame and I'm happy with where my wheel sets in the opening you can see pics on my build. Texas know how on YouTube has a great set of videos of him doing the whole install step by step that I watched many times when I was putting mine in too.

I found that diagram also and that's what I ended up going with. I was worried the wheels would end up too far forward or backwards. Thanks for the reply!!
Bronco_77

Post by Bronco_77 »

No problem man I've got a lot of help from everybody on here and learned a lot to. You truck looks good in the pictures.
68 f100 390 3 speed on the collom G maw gave to me G paw drove in late 70s till late 80s
77 bronco 302 lifted 5.5 with 33s and rears cut
69 Mustang boss 302 clone bought when was 14 sold when was 28 to build house
tbrown1986

Post by tbrown1986 »

Bronco_77 wrote:No problem man I've got a lot of help from everybody on here and learned a lot to. You truck looks good in the pictures.

Thanks for the compliment! I appreciate it!

So I've got a question that I'd like to hear opinions on. The truck came out with a 390 and a c6. I bought the truck not running but I got it running refore I tore the truck apart.

I'm having trouble deciding what to do about a motor. I have the 390/C6 combo. They've got lots of power, parts are expensive, it's not going to get very good fuel mileage, and I think the truck would be a lot of fun with a 5 speed in it!

I have the chance to buy a running 289 and a T-5 transmission. The 289 is a small motor but parts are cheaper than for a big block, it should get decent fuel mileage with overdrive and 3.73 gears out back.

I have trouble between the idea of building a "hot rod" and being sensible. This won't be my "daily driver" but I will probably drive it 3 or 4 days out of the week.

What's your opinion on the motor situation. If I could find a good running 351w I could mate it to that T5 and basically have the best of both worlds!
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

tbrown1986 wrote:
Bronco_77 wrote:No problem man I've got a lot of help from everybody on here and learned a lot to. You truck looks good in the pictures.

Thanks for the compliment! I appreciate it!

So I've got a question that I'd like to hear opinions on. The truck came out with a 390 and a c6. I bought the truck not running but I got it running refore I tore the truck apart.

I'm having trouble deciding what to do about a motor. I have the 390/C6 combo. They've got lots of power, parts are expensive, it's not going to get very good fuel mileage, and I think the truck would be a lot of fun with a 5 speed in it!

I have the chance to buy a running 289 and a T-5 transmission. The 289 is a small motor but parts are cheaper than for a big block, it should get decent fuel mileage with overdrive and 3.73 gears out back.

I have trouble between the idea of building a "hot rod" and being sensible. This won't be my "daily driver" but I will probably drive it 3 or 4 days out of the week.

What's your opinion on the motor situation. If I could find a good running 351w I could mate it to that T5 and basically have the best of both worlds!
390 is a solid motor. Parts will be more expensive than a 289. It all depends on what you want to see under the hood. Both reliable but go fast parts will be cheaper on a small block Ford. I went to the local pull a part and grabbed a 351w out of a 96 F150. Roller cam motor so alot of the mustang stuff will transfer over. 302 out of a 93 to 96 F150 would be good or Explorer 302. If you do a late model 302, most likely all you will need to do is rering it and fresh bearings. The Explorer motors come with the iron GT40 heads. Smooth out the bump in the exhaust ports and you have a decent head. They just don't wear unless it was mistreated really badly. The other thing about a late model 302 or windsor is you can run the serpentine belt stuff too. Also gets you the later model power steering pump and 3g alternator with more amperage. As far as a T5, good trans, will not take a ton of power but since we are driving trucks, tires are probably going to spin before something breaks. Only other downside to a T5 in our trucks is shifter position. There is only one shifter location on the trans and it puts it right at the edge of the seat.

Barry
tbrown1986

Post by tbrown1986 »

I think I'm going to go with the 289. If I use it I will already have my motor mounts in place for when I find a 351w. The T5 should make it a fun truck to drive.

I bought 2 65 Mustang bucket seats so the shifter location shouldn't be a problem, I hope. Eventually I'd like to get a different seat option but for now that should be ok.

I'd love to have a newer fuel injected motor but that's above my skill level! For now I'll have to stick with a carbureted motor.

Tonight we got the plates and pipe cut to sleeve the bolts and box the frame in.

For those who have completed the explorer rear end swap, what wheels and back spacing did you go with for the rear? I've got the stock Mercury Grand Marquis wheels and tires on the rear with 1.5" spacers and it's still not wide enough to sit the bed on the frame. The tires hit the inside of the bed!
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

I am running the FITECH efi. It is a self learning setup so easy to get going and easy to install. If you have the funds consider it. They have a 400hp kit that would work fine on your 289 for $795. One thing you will run into with a T5 is working out the clutch linkage. Stock is a rod through the floor working off of a bell crank. I am not sure that will work with a T5 so the other option is to workout a foxbody mustang style cable or go aftermarket hydraulic. I have pics in my thread if you are interested in a hydraulic setup just to give you an idea on what can work.

Barry
Ozblitz

Post by Ozblitz »

You've got a nice truck. I'm doing the same eng. Combo as you are, but I'm going with 5.0 roller. As for the T5, you could swap out the rear tailshaft with a GM T5 from S-10. They shorten the trans about 4 inches which will move the shifter away from a bench seat.
BrockGrimes

Post by BrockGrimes »

You can adapt a Chevy TBI setup to your engine. Check with Affordable fuel injection or howell, they'll even do custom tunes for you.
It's so easy I built my first TBI setup myself.
If it's not broke, MOD IT!

1972 F100 short wheel base, 302, C6, 9"