76 F250 Camper Special Tow Rig

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Joshgt87

76 F250 Camper Special Tow Rig

Post by Joshgt87 »

Thought I'd start a build thread for my F250. Have plans to make a solid truck for towing a camper and whatever else it can handle. I'm super excited and so is the wife! I plan to lower it with I beams and a shackle kit, maybe air bags in the rear to help keep it level while towing. As far as the motor goes it's a 390. I've just pulled off the carburetor and tore it down to rebuild it. The motor turns free but it's been sitting for years. I've rebuilt several 302's but never one of these. I'm gonna get it running and do a compression check and see where to go from there. I'll update as time and money allows. I'm super pumped about this rig! I had a 79 when I was 16 but lately I've been driving hondas, which I do love, but there is something that just speaks to me about this truck lol. It's massive size, it's simplicity, I just love it! Thanks for looking folks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: 76 F250 Camper Special Tow Rig

Post by cdnwillyg »

Okay Josh I'll be watching! I too am doing a Camper Special build but a 68 Mercury.
So the rule is lots of pics or it didn't happen and way more fun to follow....good luck! :?
1968 Mercury M250 Camper Special
FE-390,570CFM 4bbl, C6 Automatic, PS, PB front disk.
Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
:drive:Willy
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

Right on thanks man! Here's a few more after some cleaning.
IMG_8029.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

The old girl cleaned up pretty nice. :clap:
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

Wow, she cleaned up well! Enjoy!
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

I was really excited to get off work this morning and start working on it. There were ants everywhere lol I figured they'd made a home inside. I pulled the carb and started the cleaning process then decided to locate the ants. I found them and unfortunately some bad news. No big deal I can deal with the pans. What was weird was that it was a vin code "G" for automatic transmission which was in it, but then I found a strange linkage. It turned out to be a clutch pedal previously hidden buy the carpet. So I guess they went automatic, to manual, then BACK to automatic lol!!!
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

IMG_8050.JPG
IMG_8052.JPG
IMG_8053.JPG
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

Sweet truck. Where did you find it? That thing was mossy! Looks like a fun project welcome and good luck. :thup:
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

As you mentioned, the pans need to be done but of all the body work, that is the easiest and cheapest to do. Interesting that they left the clutch pedal under the carpet!!!
Good luck on the build!
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

I have a buddy that has a buddy that has a small "salvage" yard of these trucks in his back yard. Very nicely organized. Really good dude too. I pulled both fuel tanks Saturday morning and they are more or less trash. I called a radiator shop about dipping them and they said it would be $72 per tank. I can get one from rock auto for $75 to my door. So I'm not sure what I'll do on that yet. However, I thought about the possibility of upgrading the rear 19 to the 38 and then getting the 22 gallon center tank cleaned and get all that working again. 60 gallons of fuel would be nice on one hand, but on the other it won't be a daily so I'm not sure if I want 60 gallons of fuel sitting in my driveway going bad lol. Thanks for the warm welcome and wishes guys!! This is an awesome website! Maybe next week I may have enough stuff to fire her up, hear it run, do a compression check, then make a decision on what I'm gonna do with the engine.
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

Well I got it started. I was pretty happy, but that went away very quickly lol. Things went from bad to worse. The carb was spitting fuel back out so I knew there was a valve issue. I pulled the passenger valve cover and found #1 intake valve not moving. Turned out to be a stuck lifter, then I found a bent pushrod on #6. I decided to tear it down and go through it cuz the cam is probobly trash from the stuck lifter. After pulling the heads my cheap truck lost its luster. Apparently it's been rebuilt and its looking like they left the snap rings out of 2 wrist pins. So I'm not exactly sure which way I'm gonna go at this point.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sdQiKs5Tr6ujsQUH3

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XJBcBxbS6vjqoI823

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zb94yKFHiSeuCTJI2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xWNeq8rc2HYrbzyK2
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Don't know where your at but know of several decent fe's that don't have the scratches in the walls. Sadly a lot of them snap rings pop out as they aren't install properly. Its a nice old truck and worthy of a new heart and pans. Again got lines on motors several 390's i know floating. :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

Thanks man I'm in northeast Arkansas. I have some buddies looking for me as well. It's easy to get discouraged but I really wanna get the truck going! I love the looks of it! Thanks for the encouraging words!
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Joshgt87 wrote:Thanks man I'm in northeast Arkansas. I have some buddies looking for me as well. It's easy to get discouraged but I really wanna get the truck going! I love the looks of it! Thanks for the encouraging words!
Plot your course and time to Lawrenceburg, TN. I have a friend there with several fe's that were running decent and should do you fine for drop in or rebuild cores. You may find something close by but will help you anyway I can. How these things get done.. :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

So Josh are you thinking at all of rebuilding your engine or did I miss something as to why you can't? That would seem the the best and easiest route to go and then you know what you have vs another used engine. :2cents: