360 to 390 Swap

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

360 to 390 Swap

Post by ToughOldFord »

I got the 360 pulled last nite. Found the data tag still bolted to the intake:

360 69 3 Ford
8 K K 301 S

The 360 and 69 are obvious, the 3 I'll guess was the month. No clue about the rest of it.
Decades of grease and grime, I probably could take a core sample. :evil:
And the water pump even has a date code of '69 on it.
This 360 has a "427" cast in the back of it, anyone want a well used 427? :evil: J/K.
It doesn't take long for those exhaust flange bolts to freeze up. I had replaced the L/S manifold right around a year ago and both bolts were stuck so bad I took the impact to them and it only got one off. Had to use a cheater on a 1/2" drive on the other and broke an extension in the process.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

were the manifold bolts welded on or what.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: 360 to 390 Swap

Post by ToughOldFord »

Sure felt like it. :o

I don't know what the deal was, it was a lot harder this time then when I replaced it.
thorn1968

Post by thorn1968 »

I just got a replacement manifold for my passengers side. The original is broken at the upper rear mounting hole. Do I need to worry about damaging the block when I try and remove the nut from the stud back there?
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

thorn1968 wrote:I just got a replacement manifold for my passengers side. The original is broken at the upper rear mounting hole. Do I need to worry about damaging the block when I try and remove the nut from the stud back there?

No, you can drill it straight through and put a nut on the top.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Well, between being sick on and off and being too busy when I was able to be on my feet I haven't been able to work on it any more until today. I found out that my transmission leak wasn't just the pan gasket, :o , front seal is bad. Picked up a new one at Autozone and a set of Motorcraft plugs. First time I've seen them in years, all the other parts stores up here stopped carrying them years ago, I thought they stopped making them. Our first Autozone opened up a few years back and I was pleasantly surprised that carry them!
Anyway, looks like most of my hoses will need to be replaced, gotta love the sound of ripping rubber when you pull a hose off. Surprisingly my motor mounts are in darn good shape, I was prepared to see those in pieces.
Had to change my harmonic balancer, the center of the one on the 390 was a little bit larger so my pulleys wouldn't fit. I checked the timing marks between the two, the one's on the 390 are 2 degrees advanced over the one off of the 360 so I'll have to keep that in mind when I time it.
Pulled the exhaust manifolds off the heads with only one broken bolt, but they all look bad so new ones are in order. Someone here suggested studs once, I like that idea so I'll probably do that.
The wires on the back of my alternator are fried, I'll be replacing those. Need to R&R the alternator anyway, the bearings have been howling pretty badly lately.
Pulled that stupid oil cooler off. Now it's going to be cleaning and painting parts for a little while.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

LOL, this new transmission seal is Timken, good brand right? It's made in Indonesia, now that's encouraging. :lol:
xxxtina63
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by xxxtina63 »

Just about all the parts anymore are made in Mexi-Thiawan-Guata-China. My radiator's made in Ethiopia :lol: , but I've never had a problem with it :D .
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Darn, I thought I was ready to drop the engine in. But it wasn't the torque conver seal that was leaking, it's the front pump gasket. And badly too. :x
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

I can't recall an engine swap taking me this long before. Of course, I'm not getting any faster. But all the stupid little things are holding me back. No one around here carries the pump gasket and o-ring, (no one I could find anyway), so I had to order them from Napa. They're coming out of Sacramento and should be here tomorrow.
Would have never thought that simple gaskets for a c-6 wouldn't be readily available. Wasn't that many moons ago I was buying stuff for older TF 707s and 904s.
My 4bbl gaskets are wrong too, so those have to go back. I'll take my carb spacer with me on that trip.
hutch1973

Post by hutch1973 »

I feel your pain. I started dropping my 352 in three weekends ago thinking I'd have it in by the end of that weekend. I should have figured I'd have a fair amount of changes between the 351w but I hoped for the best. To go through all you have with basically the same swap, I'd be losin it.
Bumpless for now...
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

More frustrations and I only have me to blame. :x I pulled the front pump out without first tightening the band so now stuff came loose inside the tranny. I can't seem to get it back together as is so I'm probably going to have to drop the pan and pull the valve body. :x And my back hates me for bending over the front of the thing while standing in the engine compartment so if I can't fix it soon I'll end up pulling the tranny just for the sake of my back.
And this is new territory for me, I've never been this far inside a C6 so I have some learnin' to do. I bought a Haynes manual for rebuilding Ford transmissions but it doesn't look like it's going to be much help. So I'll either figure this one out or just totally jack up this tranny to the point where I'll have to replace it. :x :x :x
xxxtina63
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by xxxtina63 »

Sorry you're having such problems. I know what it's like. The parts store never has the parts you need and even the easiest things require 3-4 trips to the chiropractor. Don't worry, you'll get it done. We're all Ford people. For better or worse, we never give up. :)
xxxtina63
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by xxxtina63 »

Another thing; at least you're working on a C6. It's old school tech. Shouldn't be extremely difficult. Once you master that, I have a 1996 Dodge 46RE that needs a front seal. Should be a good learning experience for you. Let me know if interested :D .
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Yeah, I guess if I'm going to screw something up it might as well be on the simpler version. :doh:
Correction on something I said a few posts up, that should be TF 727, not 707.
LOL, California to Minnesota to change a seal? :hmm: You'll supply the beer, right? :lol: