360 to 390 Swap

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: 360 to 390 Swap

Post by ToughOldFord »

It's a H*lley 4160 6919 600CFM vacuum secondaries. Haven't checked the float level. I put in a new exhaust doughnut this morning and checked for vacuum leaks. Sprayed a lot of WD-40 around and didn't find anything.
Factory 4bbl manifold. It appears to be popping only, haven't seen any flamage, it does it when accelerating from no/low speed. If I'm at a cruising or highway speed I can romp on it and everything's fine.
Drove it about 40+ miles today, at one stop about halfway through it popped so bad it blew the vacuum cap off of the PCV fitting on the carb, (I'm using the stock carb spacer fitting for my pcv.), and it was a new cap that was pressed on pretty hard! With such a huge vacuum leak the truck wouldn't idle and my brake booster wasn't very effective. I stopped at a parts store and picked up some new caps and I'm back to where I started now.
Sure sounds like it has to be the carb to me, don't know where else to go at this point. :dk:
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Wasted $30 on a carb kit. Didn't do any good. Time to decide wether to swap the old 360 back in or just park the whole damn thing under a tree.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

I haven't burned it down yet. (Although it's done it's best to tempt me. I'm getting a refresher on why I hate H*lleys)
Actually made some progress, but had another misadventure(s) in the process. I'll type it out tomorrow, I'm tired and smell like gasoline. Bottom line is that it's running fine as of this minute.
xxxtina63
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by xxxtina63 »

Good for you TOF! :D :D Some progress is better than no progress. A lot of people hate Holley's. I personally, like them. Yeah, they require tons of tuning sometimes, but it's worth it in the end.

Case in point: When you look through Summit, Jegs, etc., they have a lot of high performance carbs. Demon, Dominator, Fat-Boy-Hillbilly-Bob's. One thing they all have in common is that they are based on the Holley design. Temperamental-yes. Worth It-definitely.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Okay, it tried to kill me again, so I'm taking a break and do some typing. My fault though, I've been to relax about using wheel chocks these days, I'll do better after today. I had the rig up on ramps and was hooking up the kick down linkage. I must have bumped the gear selector linkage right next to it and it kicked out of park and rolled off the ramps. I held on to the truck so it would drag me rather than run me over so it drug my back over the rocks, tore up my shirt, scratched my back up and the front left tire still hit my hip pretty good. I'm going to be sore tomorrow. Heck, my back is sore right now. :doh:
No one better take me to Vegas right now....
Yesterday I took off my carb and put on an old parts carb. This carb is in bad shape, covered with crud, missing parts, and the accelerator diaphragm was hydrolocked shut. But it ran! And the popping through the carb was gone. Other than a really bad hesitation it actually ran pretty good.
So, I tore it apart to see what was different about it and the “goodâ€Â
xxxtina63
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by xxxtina63 »

Awesome! :clap: Except for the almost dying part :( . Does sound like it was the Holley Hiccups since it appears to have been running lean on the primaries. Good job. You may want to consider getting a set of non-stick gaskets for the fuel bowl/metering block. They will allow you to repeatedly disassemble the carb (well, within reason) for jet replacement until you get it dialed in. Also, if you buy different jets, make sure to get Holley jets. Some aftermarket jets, like Maxjets, available from Jegs, do not directly correspond with the Holley sizes.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

That's a good idea, as these H*lley gaskets work too good. Even after being assembled for only one day I still had to pry that float bowl off.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

I found out my speedo problem. I didn't tie the cable back when I put the transmission in so it rested on the exhaust pipe and the housing melted to the cable and it self destructed. :o What makes it suck more is that the cable was only a few months old. Another $20 blown away.
I know Hutch got rid of his truck, buy if anyone else comes across this thread and would like to know what I did with my carb linkage I discussed it here:

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 0931#90931

So I'm down to installing the new speedo cable, (just picked it up), and getting my shift linkage hooked up properly and I'm done! At least with the engine swap anyway.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Okay, I'm done. I hope. Got my #64 jets yesterday and just installed them. Truck's running fine. Finished hooking up my linkage properly. Hopefully this will bump up my milage enough. I could live with 10, but I'd like to see 12-14. If it stays at 8 I'll have to seriously start looking for a 300 if I want to continue driving this truck.
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

TOF- what gears r u running? i just read your whole thread. saga from h-e-l-l be careful - don't want to lose a fellow tester :wink:
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

I'm watching my posterior for sure! I'm going to have to let that truck know who's boss. :evil:

I'm currently running 3:73s. I had 4:10s and in trying to get the 360 to produce more than 8 I switched. Most of the guys on these forums seem to be averaging 12 to 14 with the 360/390 and 4:10s so I don't know whats going on here. Only one fill up since the 390 though, so my reading's not that accurate yet and maybe these smaller jets will help.
:?
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

what tire size? 8 to 10 for about anything with 4:10 sounds average to me & 12 to 14 with 4:10's sounds really good unless u r running really tall tires and then u really don't have 4:10's-- as an example one of the IHC guys i did business with on my old travelall explained that running 3:73's with 10.00 31.50 15's had nearly changed my ratio to the 3:54's i wanted to go to- so anyway- hope u get an increase :thup: :thup:
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Pretty much stock, 235/85/16. I think those are 31" IIRC.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 8)
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

TOF, 62 2 means its a 62.5 so to speak. If you went with 64's you have gone up 2oooth, but you now have the correct primaries imo for 4150 0r 4160 Holley with vac. sec. That trucks sister wasn't named Christine was it?
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: 360 to 390 Swap

Post by ToughOldFord »

CJ,s 67 F100 wrote:TOF, 62 2 means its a 62.5 so to speak. If you went with 64's you have gone up 2oooth, but you now have the correct primaries imo for 4150 0r 4160 Holley with vac. sec. That trucks sister wasn't named Christine was it?

That make sense, I guess that last 2 being upside down was just someone at H*lley having a rough Monday morning.
It is running great now, still drinks like fish, but I'm happy with the performance anyway.
No kidding, seems like it at times, especially when it's trying to run me over. :lol: