Engine swap

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

kcracecar

Engine swap

Post by kcracecar »

I'm helping a coworker restore a '67 f-100 2wd pick-up. The original engine was a 302(so I'm told). We have built a 351w to replace it. We are working with the local parts house to find motor mounts that fit the block and the brackets on the frame without too much fabrication. The bolt holes on the block are spaced 7" apart and the brackets have a single hole( egg shaped) for a stud. The angle of the brackets is approximately 50 degrees. Any suggestions?
green1970

Re: Engine swap

Post by green1970 »

the 302 and trhe 351w are the same block. Just get the mounts for a 302, and the engine perches on the frame if it did have a 302 in it before, will work.
tyler
towtruckerfour
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by towtruckerfour »

Ive had both motors in my 70 F100 and didn't have to change anything.
Troy
Why is it that the trucks are always the best running vehicles in the family?
Ford means "found on road daily"
70 F100 Custom-352 w/68 Highboy 4x4 frame. My play/project truck
70 F250 Explorer-390/C6 auto. My work truck
04 Mitsubishi montero-family car
pollock

Post by pollock »

302 and 351W are not the same block.

That said, they are the same with respect to motor mounts.

You might have to make a change on the exhaust. Although the heads are more or less interchangeable, the exhaust manifold/header flanges will be slightly higher and further apart. There is so much room under the hood of these trucks, I would expect the same set of full-length headers would fit either engine. One way to check this would be to see if header manufacturers list the same part number for both engines in these trucks. You just need to get the pipes to bolt up.
70shortwide

Post by 70shortwide »

:yt: my neighbor did this swap and all we had to do was cut and weld the exhaust a little. the distributors dont interchange either, just a heads up. we were planning to use the old one and couldnt
Texas69

Post by Texas69 »

I thought the 302 only came out in 1969 trucks and later?
1969 F100 Ranger shortbed 360 3 on tree.
mkpj1

Post by mkpj1 »

Texas has a point, the frame my not have the small block holes drilled? Unless of course it really did have a 302?
Ken
Greenville, SC

68 F100 LWB 390
67 LTD 390(4V T-bird Special)
74 Bronco 351W

"I sincerely believe... that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity under the name of funding is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson to John Taylor, 1816. ME 15:23
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

If it has been swaped to a 302 sometime during its life you need to check if the kept the original FE/I6 towers and just put the 302 in using those or if they swaped the towers too. A 302 will bolt onto the FE style towers but it puts the motor to far forward and up in location. 67 trucks never had a 302 from the factory. The only real problem is header clearance. If you are running a later style ps box with the full length 302 headers you will need to dimple a couple tubes that go by the box. I perfer to use 351w swap headers for a fox body they fit great and they are 1 5/8 primary tubes. Which are a must if running a high flowing head like I am. ImageImage
1968 swb hydroboost, ididit tilt column, Saginaw p/s pump with F series serpentine, all led lights, Vintage Air and painless wiring. 393w, tko600. CV front suspension w/c5 calipers and gt500 rotors. Stock Flexomatic leaf springs with 01 CV 8.8, 3.90 gears and Auburn locker. Custom wood bed floor. Full frame off resto-mod.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

one thing to consider about thte frame and holes for a smallblock perch. the trucks all had options for a 6 cyl from 67-72. so the hoels for the 6 cyl perches should be in the frame as well as the fe holes. so the 302 holes will be there on most trucks because of this option for a 6 cyl. but not all frames got both sets of holes. my 67 frame has two sets of holes. and small blocks for trucks didn't come out until late in 69. why this has happened. i do not know and could only guess.