Looking for Exhaust Gasket Part Number

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Looking for Exhaust Gasket Part Number

Post by colnago »

So, I'm finishing my rebuild, and decided to do a fit check with those donut-shaped exhaust gaskets (not the manifold-to-head gaskets, but the gaskets that go between the manifold and exhaust tubing). In short, they didn't fit. They were way too big. Old dopey me; I must have bought the wrong part, right? So, I stopped by AutoZone, and they got me the "correct" gaskets. Same size as my first set, same problem. So, does anyone know what part number or gasket size I need for a stock exhaust manifold? This is for an FE.

Joseph

On edit, never mind. I found my problem: me! But this does bring up a question. I threw away the old gaskets, but I'm sure they were smaller than the new gaskets. Do these things "shrink" after they get heated up?
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
idaho_cowboy

Re: Looking for Exhaust Gasket Part Number

Post by idaho_cowboy »

Stock manifolds didn't use gaskets. It was metal to metal.

Best bet is to surface the exhaust manifolds so they are true, and then use a very light film of copper high-temp rtv, and bolt to the heads. Assuming the heads are surfaced too.

OR Go with Rem-Flex thick gaskets. A bit expensive, but well worth it.

Either way, get factory style replacement bolts.
http://www.dearbornclassics.com/exhaust ... -1973.html#

- Joseph
Owner @ bumpsidetreasures
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

He is not talking about the head to manifold gasket

He needs the donut gasket

Never seen then shrink just burn up
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I had my exhaust system rebuilt by a shop in town several years ago. I guess they used bluish donuts, but they either added a sleeve to the inside of the donut, or the sleeve came as part of the donut. The sleeve is probably around 1-1/2" long. There is no way the sleeve will fit snug in the new donuts. The new donuts seem to be made of some metallic material, rather than the blue donut. The old donuts were much smaller than the new donuts. Should be fun trying to get everything together again!

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

The sort of metal material of the donut is called "sintered" metal - it's like metal strands that is compressed under high heat with a binder to form a donut.
70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

They're called exhaust flange gaskets. I've found them at Autozone before now. I checked their website and they're showing Felpro part #9998. I have one sitting in the truck right now, but unfortunately it's not packaged or labeled so I can't confirm the number. Summit also lists Felpro #60987, Walker #31503 and Scott Drake C9ZZ-9450-D on their website. I have found solid ones before, and they don't seal as well - get the "soft" ones.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Jacksdad wrote:Summit also lists Felpro #60987, Walker #31503 and Scott Drake C9ZZ-9450-D on their website. I have found solid ones before, and they don't seal as well - get the "soft" ones.
I picked up the Fel-Pro 60987 yesterday. Since I have them in hand, I'll probably use them. They're the sintered metal type, so I'm not sure what is supposed to conform to any imperfections in the surfaces. When it ends up leaking, I'll try the soft ones. Thanks for the part numbers!

Joseph
idaho_cowboy

Post by idaho_cowboy »

Ooops! My bad!
Owner @ bumpsidetreasures
farmallmta

fiber donuts seal better than the sintered metal ones

Post by farmallmta »

The fiber ones seal better than the sintered metal ones. In my experience.