Coyote swap questions

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

1972f100rangerxlt

Coyote swap questions

Post by 1972f100rangerxlt »

I'm considering swapping a new coyote and 6R80 automatic transmission in place of the 390 and C6 in my 72 F100. I'm not sure if I should buy the engine and trans from a salvage yard and use the factory wiring harnesses or buy the wiring separately. I've seen harnesses available at ford performance parts and a place called Power by the Hour. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm also new to fortification so thanks for having me.
MadMike

Re: Coyote swap questions

Post by MadMike »

Ideally, especially if you have no experience swapping engines/modifying controls/harness, purchase of a wrecked car would be best. This way you can grab all the knickknack parts. Or purchase an engine/trans/harness combo from a place that specializes in selling such 'conversion kits'. If you have PS the newer Mustangs use an electric powered R&P, so there will be no provisions for the PS pump if you have PS. I think the biggest hurdle would be finding a competent tuner that can turn off all the equipment(emissions/security/etc) that will not be used on your truck. '11-'14 and '15-'17 Coyotes are slightly different in the controls, so getting everything from a single donor vehicle would be best.

I would check out Pro-Touring.com there would most likely be someone familiar with a Coyote swap into a 65-79 F series.
-Michael
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

You might check out Hackster's thread (Thanks, Sean!). http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=79876
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
1972f100rangerxlt

Post by 1972f100rangerxlt »

Thanks for the good information. Much appreciated!.