New Carter carb

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

wildcard
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

New Carter carb

Post by wildcard »

I just put a new carter 1 barrel carb on my 300 I-6. It has a climatic choke that I haven't gotten adjusted yet. I feel like I have the fuel/air mix set real close.
When I start off and hit 3rd gear, it just seems to lose power. Especially if I'm on the slightest incline. I can feather the gas and keep it going. Once it gets on up to speed, it's ok. Going up and down hills is no problem after it gets out on the open road.
Could this be a carb setting problem, choke problem or timing? I'm pretty sure the timing is pretty dang close though.
I also have a new inline fuel filter and replaced all the rubber fuel lines.
I did notice that the steel line from the inline filter looks to be larger than the line from the tank to the pump. I had to put a reducer between the carb and filter because the line was too big to screw into the carb. Could it be getting too much gas and trying to flood out?
Any insight or advice would be helpful. Thanks
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: New Carter carb

Post by Manny »

wildcard wrote:I just put a new carter 1 barrel carb on my 300 I-6. It has a climatic choke that I haven't gotten adjusted yet. I feel like I have the fuel/air mix set real close.
When I start off and hit 3rd gear, it just seems to lose power. Especially if I'm on the slightest incline. I can feather the gas and keep it going. Once it gets on up to speed, it's ok. Going up and down hills is no problem after it gets out on the open road.
Could this be a carb setting problem, choke problem or timing? I'm pretty sure the timing is pretty dang close though.
I also have a new inline fuel filter and replaced all the rubber fuel lines.
I did notice that the steel line from the inline filter looks to be larger than the line from the tank to the pump. I had to put a reducer between the carb and filter because the line was too big to screw into the carb. Could it be getting too much gas and trying to flood out?
Any insight or advice would be helpful. Thanks
If it was not doing this before you changed carb then its in the carb. Probably not timing, and the fuel line size will not cause it to flood out. If it was that would be gushing gas out of the top. If its right when you change gear it could be the accelerator pump not actuating enough fuel to make it pull outta the gear change. I am beating though its in the carb tuning.
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
wildcard
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wildcard »

Thanks for the reply.
It was doing this before the new carb. I found a site explaining how to tune this particular carb. I haven't had time to sit down and try to put to use. Hopefully I will get a chance to sit down with it tomorrow and see if I can figure something out.
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1972hiboy »

Generically, this sounds like your lean and not getting a rich enough mixture to sustain engine speed under load. check for possible vacuum leaks or adjust carb to rich up the mixture enough to smooth it out.
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
wildcard
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wildcard »

I think I may have it running better. If the rain would move on out, I'm gonna get out and finish up a few little things on it and take it for a spin.
I tuned the carb per the web site instructions. I had to tweak it afterwards, but it isn't running rough when it's warming up like before. So that's a good sign.
I pulled the distributor to try to fix a stripped screw that holds down the plastic housing that the cap goes on. While it was off' I noticed the star wheel on the shaft looked a little rusty. I took some emery cloth and cleaned all the spokes of the wheel.
I don't know what helped it. Probably a combination of everything. :thup:
I was gonna replace the module inside the dist but gave up trying to get the cam gear off. Afraid I was gonna bust it. I've got the part already, so that will be a future project. Maybe if there's a gov shutdown in a couple weeks I'll get a chance to dig into it again.