390 Pushrod Clearance

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

thatoneguy

390 Pushrod Clearance

Post by thatoneguy »

I am working on putting together a 390 that is going to go in my '70 when I move it over to the 4x4 chassis sitting in my garage. So far, everything has gone fairly smoothly, she got a 'dingle-ball' hone, new rings and bearings, valve grind, and an aluminum Edelbrock intake (my favorite part because I didn't have to lift and align the cast iron one anymore).

The problem I am running into now is with the clearance between my #6 intake pushrod and the intake runner, there is a bit of daylight there but it is REALLY close. It also looks like the manifold lines up with the head well on one side (1-4) but is a bit off-center, towards the back on this side (5-8). When I installed it, I installed the distributor to ensure alignment so it -should- be good. What sort of clearance do I really need here? If I need more than a few thousanths, any ideas what I can look at other than grinding the intake here? Tomorrow, for S&G, I think I'll try swapping the rocker arms between sides to see if it makes a difference.
Aaron V.
1970 Ford F100 4x4 390/4-spd
1973 Ford Maverick 302/C4
1979 Chevrolet C30 Ramp Truck 454/TH-400
1948 Chevrolet 3800 216/4-spd
1995 Jeep Cherokee 4.0/5-spd
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

"While driving yesterday I saw a banana peel in the road and instinctively swerved to avoid it…thanks Mario Kart."
cstoyer

Re: 390 Pushrod Clearance

Post by cstoyer »

Same issue with my E Intake as well. I used a roller rocker setup on my rebuild and just shimmed it over slightly for a little more clearance. Are you using the stock rocker setup?

cstoyer
68 F250 4x4