Distributor alignment

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Gettysburg150

Distributor alignment

Post by Gettysburg150 »

Hello,

Trying to get a neglected engine running. Original distributor was toast (breaker plate play) so got a new parts store one. Installed the new one and thought I had it in correctly but I'm not sure now.

Had the engine at #1 TDC compression, marked the old one and installed the new one where the old one was. Have a OEM shop manual from 1969 and have a chiltons manual. OEM says #1 plug will be towards the front of the engine near the water pump. Chilton's says the rotor should be pointing towards 7/8 cylinders. Cap on the new distributor has #1 marked on the same location as chiltons says (towards 7/8)

Which one is correct?

Can I have it installed pointing either way as long as the firing order is correct?

Haven't gotten it running yet because the new parts store carb is puking gas through the vent when cranking so need to correct that before I try running again. Just want to make sure I have the dizzy in right.
1969 F100 4x2 FE360 C6 auto, Soul Donor
1969 F100 4x4 FE360 4 speed, the eternal project
1971 F100 4x2 FE360 4 speed, retired fire truck

-Jason
Gettysburg150

Re: Distributor alignment

Post by Gettysburg150 »

Well I just read the FAQ and that diagram has the #1 being at the rear of the cap.

My factory service manual does say "typical v8" in the diagram that I was looking at for the spark plug wire order so perhaps I'm in the wrong section when I'm looking at that.
1969 F100 4x2 FE360 C6 auto, Soul Donor
1969 F100 4x4 FE360 4 speed, the eternal project
1971 F100 4x2 FE360 4 speed, retired fire truck

-Jason
RottenAppleRed

Post by RottenAppleRed »

If you are worried about having everything exact as it came from the factory, please disregard this post.

There are 2 major keys to setting a distributor into the engine. Having the engine on top dead center is the 1st and the second being, the correct firing order. Of course you also need to know the cylinder arrangement.

Once you're on tdc, the rest is easy. I don't pay much attention to whether the factory pointed #1 on the distributor to the #1 cylinder or between #s 7 and 8. I will typically point #1 toward the vacuum canister on the housing. I always insert the distributor with the rotor in place. As the distributor gear ingages into the cam gear, I pay attention to where the rotor will eventually point as it seats into the oil pump drive shaft. If it looks like it will go too far, I gently raise the housing up as I back the rotor up one tooth on the gear. Then reinsert as I make sure it's going to end up pointing where I want it.

Don't worry if it doesn't line up with the oil pump drive shaft. All you need to do is slowly rotate the engine at the crank until the distributor drops into place. Then just back the crank back to tdc. Place wires in correct order in the proper direction on the cap. All that's left is the timing.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Not an expert on FE's, I've usually run small blocks, but another consideration is the location of the vacuum canister when the distributor is in place. I usually try to center mine between any obstructions on the front/top of the engine. This may effect the location of that #1 you mentioned. You may need to rotate the distributor when you're adjusting your timing and if the can is originally too far to one side, it will hit something before you get the full range of timing adjustment. This is especially limited if you have a factory air conditioner compressor mounted. I've had times when I had to pull the distributor and rotate it because it hit the radiator hose before I got my timing advanced enough.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

Number 1 can be anywhere you want to to be As long as you wire the cap correctly

I always point number 1 to the front carb stud on the drivers side...It never changes position and is close to the rotor

Make sure the advance unit is in the center of its travel when you wire the cap

Mine points straight ahead