Electric water pump

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

moore89

Electric water pump

Post by moore89 »

I'm going to be rebuilding my 460 in my 2wd 67 f100 and I was looking at replacement electric water pumps. What do you think of the CSR performance billet electric watter pumps? They say these things were tested for 5,000 continuous hours of non-stop use but do you think it will actually last that long? My truck is a limited daily driver and weekend warrior.
67 f100 2wd LWB (go fast truck). 460/C6 lots of lope and gobs of torque (under construction again) 13.06 in the 1/4mi (with the old less built motor).
2 Thunderbird Supercoupes (a 1990 35th anny., and a 1991 modded pushing 15 lbs of boost)
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5spd
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Electric water pump

Post by oldschoolrods »

Can't say I've used one myself but the reviews I've heard said they don't cool very well. I'd stick with a stock or performance water pump like an edelbrock or something. Plus the electric is just one more thing to break :cuss:
bryantracing460

Post by bryantracing460 »

From what I've heard is that the electric uses less horsepower. Thats what you'll want if you're going to race very much. Not sure of that particular brand, but I've heard the edelbrock was pretty good.
Jeremy
Drive It Like You Stole It.........NO FEAR!
69 F-100 swb 2wd 460 C-6. 86 F-150 super cab 2wd 302 AOD.85 Bronco 4wd 300 AOD.
http://www.myspace.com/bryantracing460
moore89

Post by moore89 »

The reason I want to go electric is because I do race often and it would also take care of a pully problem I'm having (pullies won't line up). The electric pump would also be accompanied by a bigger radiator and a 16" electric puller fan.
67 f100 2wd LWB (go fast truck). 460/C6 lots of lope and gobs of torque (under construction again) 13.06 in the 1/4mi (with the old less built motor).
2 Thunderbird Supercoupes (a 1990 35th anny., and a 1991 modded pushing 15 lbs of boost)
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5spd
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

This may sound stupid but won't it just require a higher output alternator which will take more horsepower? Is there less drag to convert the energy needed to electricity and back to mechanical energy?
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Faithful Old Road Dog
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Faithful Old Road Dog »

I've never seen electric water pumps on street cars. Not that it can't be done. I usually see them on drag cars. They turn them on after their pass to cool the engine.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Oval racers use them some too. They can keep the coolant moving at the optimum flow rate reguardless of engine rpm and it frees up some horsepower since it can just run off the battery. A larger battery isn't a problem since most dirt cars are built much lighter than the class rules allow and then add ballast.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.