engine stuttering

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

engine stuttering

Post by BigRedTruck »

my engine has started to stutter in idle and acceleration. it seems like it want's to die when you first give it gas, then it hits you with a bunch of power. it also has taken longer to start lately...seems to start better cold than hot...and i'm not flooding it cause i don't use the choke on hot starts...I did replace the sparkplug wires today...could that have something to do with it? i'm getting some bodywork done tuesday and it would be nice if it would at least make it to the shop. I have tried this ford diagnostic manual I got on ebay,...but it has too many possible causes and all the situations that it list sound only a little bit different than the one next to it...so it could be anything. any idea?
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: engine stuttering

Post by oldschoolrods »

Maybe you have a loose plug wire somewhere if you just changed them? Does it run rough?
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

I'm thinking you may have transposed a couple of plug wires.
jor
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BigRedTruck »

don't think that could be it...i took them off and replaced them one at a time. my old car did the same thing i forget what was wrong with it though.
i'm certain about all but the rear two on the right side. the brake cylinder and some other stuff got in the way but i know I got them in the right places. it runs....oddly ...this stuttering frequency increases on how much i open up the choke. when I give it gas it starts off slower than it used to then it gets to a certain point and jumps forward.....it sounds like its just shifting gears ...but this is different
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

Check your:
Fuel Pump,Vacuum Line to the Dizzy and Accelerator Pump..
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers
muchtomydelight

Post by muchtomydelight »

my bet is on the accelerator pump. It squirts gas into the carb when you hit the pedal, so that there is no bog while the metering functions catch up to the sudden change in manifold vacuum. The fuel bowl might have some varnish in it clogging the passage to the pump, so you might end up pulling that apart to clean it. A quick check is to look down the throat of the carb and move the throttle. A stream of gas should squirt onto the venturis.
Faithful Old Road Dog
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Faithful Old Road Dog »

I would say accelerator pump as well. Not to be confused with fuel pump.