Proformance Unlimited 390FE for #50: a complete disaster.

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Proformance Unlimited 390FE for #50: a complete disaster.

Post by robroy »

Good day!

This thread is a continuation of the discussion in, What's this loud tapping sound from my new engine? If you haven't read the previous thread, you may wish to review it--it establishes the background for this thread.

While What's this loud tapping sound from my new engine? discussed both this problematic, Proformance Unlimited engine and the new engine, this thread will focus solely on the Proformance Unlimited engine. The ongoing discussion on the new, FE Specialties engine will continue here: 390FE (406ci) for #50, built by Tom Lucas at FE Specialties. Thanks!

Here an illustration that shows our organization method (click on it if it's difficult to see):

On Friday I heard from Tom Lucas at FE Specialties that in addition to everything else, he found these new problems with the Proformance Unlimited (also known as Pro-formance Unlimited) engine:
  1. Several of the main bearing saddles were tapered, which explains the shiny streaks shown in the main bearing photos. It needs to be re-align honed. One saddle had a taper of nearly 0.001".
  2. The connecting rods were bored about 1/2 of a thousandth larger than they should have been.
  3. The bushings in the connecting rods were too large, so the fit was bad. They had between 0.0008" and 0.0010" clearance. They'll have to be re-bushed.
  4. The deck hadn't been machined properly on the block, so it needs to be re-decked. According to what I read from Tom, the deck was out 0.0025".
  5. The connecting rods I received were stock 390 FE rods. I did not receive the Eagle H-Beams listed in my invoice!
Once I receive Tom's quote for all the work required to get a reasonable engine out of all these messed up parts, I'll ask Proformance Unlimited to reimburse me for that. This will all take place early next week!

I'll provide more updates then!

Thank you all very much for your superb advice on this topic!
Robroy
Last edited by robroy on Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
r71f250

Re: Proformance Unlimited 390FE for #50: a complete disaster.

Post by r71f250 »

RobRoy,

So sorry to hear about your expensive situation. Its not that something went wrong that was a mistake, but you were ripped off, lied to and the disclosure of parts and labor in my opinion "fraud". I hope Proformance Unlimited will do the ethical and moral obligation on reimbusement, because thats just flat wrong...

Well I am going to join you on getting my engine rebuilt by Tom also. Going to call Tom tomorrow and use your engine craddle transport deminsions and transport my 390 to Tom sometime toward the end of next month (thanks for you previous thread about that). Your thread and others input really now has helped me in knowing that Tom is the man for FE's and even other engines and it will be done right the first time..

Good luck and Lord willing you will get back your money... I think I can say we are praying for ya.... :pray:

Blessings,
ALAN
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Might be worth a summary essay on how we got this far in 500 words or less for thos who won't read the 'tapping' thread :)

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

Robroy:

One point of order.

The align hone is what is supposed to correct any out-of-alignment on the main bearing caps and saddles.

If, by chance, there are excessive out-of-tolerance dimensions, the block has to be align bored.

Since you had two points in your summary regarding this, I'm assuming that you were not aware of the correlation between the two.

Good luck with PU!!
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good evening Jamie, 70_F100, and Alan, thanks for your quality replies!
r71f250 wrote:So sorry to hear about your expensive situation. Its not that something went wrong that was a mistake, but you were ripped off, lied to and the disclosure of parts and labor in my opinion "fraud". I hope Proformance Unlimited will do the ethical and moral obligation on reimbusement, because thats just flat wrong...
I can understand why you'd say these things. I'm still hoping for an excellent outcome with them! I'll be contacting them as soon as I have the official quote from Tom.
r71f250 wrote:Well I am going to join you on getting my engine rebuilt by Tom also. Going to call Tom tomorrow and use your engine craddle transport deminsions and transport my 390 to Tom sometime toward the end of next month (thanks for you previous thread about that). Your thread and others input really now has helped me in knowing that Tom is the man for FE's and even other engines and it will be done right the first time..
That's great news! If there were some feasible way to hand off my cradle to you, I'd be happy to loan it! But I'm not sure if there is. And shipping it would probably cost a ton--it's very sturdy and heavy! If you want to chat about this possibility, perhaps you could PM me?
r71f250 wrote:Good luck and Lord willing you will get back your money... I think I can say we are praying for ya.... :pray:
Well thank you very much Alan! I have a sense things will work out well.
Ranchero50 wrote:Might be worth a summary essay on how we got this far in 500 words or less for thos who won't read the 'tapping' thread :)
That's a smart suggestion. I'll add a paragraph or two to the initial post that covers the who/what/when/where/why. Thanks!
70_F100 wrote:One point of order.

The align hone is what is supposed to correct any out-of-alignment on the main bearing caps and saddles.

If, by chance, there are excessive out-of-tolerance dimensions, the block has to be align bored.
Okay, I see!
70_F100 wrote:Since you had two points in your summary regarding this, I'm assuming that you were not aware of the correlation between the two.
Thanks for noticing this and explaining it! As chance would have it, just minutes ago I reviewed an e-mail I received from Tom that suggested this same correlation. I sure have a lot to learn about engines! I'll correct my list to show the proper correlation.
70_F100 wrote:Good luck with PU!!
Thank you very much!!!

Jamie, 70_F100, and Alan, thanks again for your excellent replies!
Robroy
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fomocoguy »

:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger
HOWDY69
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by HOWDY69 »

Ryan just used the phrase “I don't want my engine to go down Proformance Unlimited style.”
It made me wonder if a Google search would pick up this thread in the first few pages. This was the fourth link in the list of results.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/Auto-Parts/ ... -7cd72.htm

Here is another one.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/auto-parts/ ... -bdbd7.htm

We got a hit at result 75

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe ... rt=70&sa=N

This guy wasn't too happy either

http://www.runtrails.com/69f100_4.htm
Last edited by HOWDY69 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
69 F250, FE Specialties 410, CJ Valves, RPM Intake, Holley 4150,......10 Smiles per gallon
71 Clydesdale in many pieces; 302 roller motor waiting impatiently
FLATBEDFORD
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by FLATBEDFORD »

I haven't followed all 20 what ever pages of the tapping noise thread. I gather they really effed up on your engine. That sucks! You have done such a through job on the whole truck. I hope you get it worked out and you get some money back.
Steve

1970 F350 DRW Factory 9' Platform/Stake, 360, T18.
Passed on to new care taker July, 2013

My Photo Gallery
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/flatbedford/
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

"THE MIDDLE MAIN BEARING HAD A PIECE OF ALL THREAD IN IT WITH A NUT ON IT INSTEAD OF A MAIN BOLT."

:eek: Image
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fomocoguy »

ToughOldFord wrote:"THE MIDDLE MAIN BEARING HAD A PIECE OF ALL THREAD IN IT WITH A NUT ON IT INSTEAD OF A MAIN BOLT."

:eek: Image
Are you kidding me???I must have missed that part! What a joke.
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

It's in the second rip off report.
That's crazy, there is no reason for stupidity like that.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

The more I learn about ProFormance Unlimited (AKA Pro-Formance Unlimited) the less I like what I learn about ProFormance Unlimited (AKA Pro-Formance Unlimited). :wink:
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

DuckRyder wrote:The more I learn about ProFormance Unlimited (AKA Pro-Formance Unlimited) the less I like what I learn about ProFormance Unlimited (AKA Pro-Formance Unlimited). :wink:
AKA "P-U"... :doh:
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

long threads get real hard to read and keep up with.

i dont care for all thread to be used. but my guess is that it was a incorrect way to make a stud for the rear sump oil pickup tube.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

robroy,

This is sad man. :eek: I hope it all works out for you.
I've had them in my "favorites" for many years now, (in hopes of someday being able to afford one of their 347's).
I'll think twice about that now.

On a side note...I know the application might not be right still but. You can get "All thread" in a Grade-8 steel. I had used it many years ago on a 4 & 1/2" body lift for my "old style" Bronco.
But I'd never use it in place of the "threaded stud" on a main cap.

Basketcase
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4