air cleaner assemblies

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

junkyardjeff

air cleaner assemblies

Post by junkyardjeff »

My newly purchased 66 has a oil bath aircleaner and is there any 67 to 72s that have a similar looking unit that has a paper element,that oil bath has to go as there was a improvement in gas mileage on my 53 olds when I got rid of the oil bath and I hope it would be the same on my 66.
NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: air cleaner assemblies

Post by NM5K »

Yes, they made both kinds as far as I know. Even for the 67-72's. Evidentally, the oil filter was heavy duty and optional, or used on work trucks, and the stock filter on mnay were the paper type. But don't hold me to that... :shh: I know for sure they made a paper filter for the 73-79 line, and it will usually fit the older models, or can be easily modified to do so. My original filter was the oil bath. But when I got the truck, the top part was missing. They had one of those small round chrome filters stuck on top of the lower section. Or something like that...But after I installed the rebuilt engine, I decided to change filters. I don't really like all the hisssss I get from those open chrome filters. So I used an old GM filter off a pontiac lemans V6... :twisted: It's one of the black stock looking assemblies you see a dime a dozen on GM cars. Has the snorkle and is quiet. No hiss..My monte carlo V6 had the same exact thing....Being as I had the base of the old ford filter that fit my carter 1bll, I took it off and installed it onto the base of the GM filter base. That way it fit the carb, and I screw it down with a long screw that fits the carb top. I have the PVC going to the carb base of course, "no change" and the breather/oil filler cap has a vent hole. I have a hose going from that breather cap to the little breather filter on the side of the air
filter case. It's not stock, but it looks fairly factoryish anyway...Just not ford particularly.... :lol: If I ever run across a blue ford filter assembly for the carter 1 bll, I'll probably snatch it up, and go with a true ford filter. But the one I have works just fine. You can also invert the top for an open filter if you want, for more air.. Thats one thing I liked about the GM filters. I don't know if ford filters will do that or not.. Maybe..But with my 300 six and 1 bll carb, doing that is pretty much a joke, and just adds the hisss...Doing that with a strong V8 can sound pretty mean though...Make it honk when you goose it... 8) MK
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip