Shift rods parts interchange question

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

pawpaws67

Shift rods parts interchange question

Post by pawpaws67 »

Sometime in the mid 90s I converted the column shift to floor shift when it started to bind up. Somewhere along the way I have lost those original shift rods and now that i'm trying to return the shifter to the column I am wondering what other vehicles I can pull these parts from? Are those linkages different if the engine is a 68-72 360/390 or inline 6? I have also noticed that none of the restoration catalogs/websites have these parts listed. I was surprised there were no reproductions available. The truck in question here is a 67 F-100 Ranger 2wd.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice or direction as I would like to inform myself before heading off to the junk yards and end up pulling parts that won't fit.
1967 F-100 Ranger 2wd 352 3 spd
2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Shift rods parts interchange question

Post by basketcase0302 »

"pawpaws67"]Sometime in the mid 90s I converted the column shift to floor shift when it started to bind up. Somewhere along the way I have lost those original shift rods and now that i'm trying to return the shifter to the column I am wondering what other vehicles I can pull these parts from? Are those linkages different if the engine is a 68-72 360/390 or inline 6? I have also noticed that none of the restoration catalogs/websites have these parts listed. I was surprised there were no reproductions available. The truck in question here is a 67 F-100 Ranger 2wd.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice or direction as I would like to inform myself before heading off to the junk yards and end up pulling parts that won't fit.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that your on the right track. That the FE / I6 linkage will be one and the same pieces, (I say that knowing they both use the same engine stands / perches which would put the bellhousing in the same place-which whould place the tranny in the same place in regards to the steering column shifter linkage.
From the below attached schematic you might need to pay attention if the trannny were different on your donor truck or not.
And don't rule out giving Green Sales a call for the right part number or our member here "numbersidiot" who was a Ford parts man:
http://www.greensalescompany.com/

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
pawpaws67

Post by pawpaws67 »

Thank you, basketcase0302 for the info. I did a search on Green Sales for part numbers 7326 and 7328, both came up out of stock but with the info you've given me i'll be a little more confident about anything I find. Plus, that diagram will help me figure out what other related bits and pieces I need to be looking for. Hopefully these won't be too difficult to locate.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Your more than welcome.
I also wouldn't rule out an "old skool" transmission shop that's been around awhile as well as other members here who have the "three on the tree" column shift still in the truck as a resource for images to match them up, (look at guys signature at the bottom of their post for bump specific info such as the 3 on the column). :wink:
Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
pawpaws67

Post by pawpaws67 »

Something I found on eBay. Does this look like a decent price?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2577654480
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

I would say you should buy them before they disappear. Obsolete parts, (no longer made) are very hard to find-even used one and those look to be in decent shape, (other than the usual 45+ years of dirt and grime). :thup:
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
farmallmta

Shift rods interchange, mostly

Post by farmallmta »

You did not state what transmission you have: the Ford manufactured 3.03 toploader 3spd or the Borg Warner T85N-R11(overdrive). The shifter lever throws on the T85N-OD differ from those on the 3.03 toploader. All shift rods from one of them will work on the other transmission, but length changes will be required as the available threaded adjustment is not sufficient. A 3.03 toploader 2nd-3rd shift rod can be used on the T85N, but will need to be lengthened about 1". The reverse is true, also, but you have to shorten the T85N rod for it to work correctly on the 3.03 2nd-3rd gear.

Otherwise, no problem.