Rear axle for build. Needs list.

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Mercury100

Rear axle for build. Needs list.

Post by Mercury100 »

I’m building a Mercury 100 with a 351c that will put out a nice hp. Auto c6 trans for now.
I’m putting in a crown Vic front suspension. Will probably flip the rear axle to lower the rear to match the front.
The current rear axle says 3.25 ratio open.
#1 I would like disc brakes on the rear. I know the kits to put disks on the rear of a 9 inch are cheap.
#2 I would think a 3.73 ration would be better for this trans and a auto over drive if I go that route in the future.
#3 A locking rear axle. From what I’ve seen. 9 inch locking Center sections are not cheap for my axle.
#4. Match the bolt pattern of the crown Vic. This can be done fairly cheap with a adapter. Not sure how it will hold up under power
These four things are all doable for my axle but will cost $$$.
What axle should I look for in the pick a part that will fill all four requests?
From the reading I’ve done it seams the 2002 and older crown Vic rear axles were narrower than 2003 and newer and have disc brakes. Not sure of the ratios in the 8.8 axle or if it’s locking or not.
Open to suggestions and info.
Thanks in advance to all replys. I will read them
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Rear axle for build. Needs list.

Post by sargentrs »

I put one of these in when I rebuilt my 9". https://www.powertrax.com/product-info/ ... on-system/ Haven't actually driven with it yet but it got good reviews with the Mustang crowd. At the time I paid $500 for it but I see it on Jegs now for $300. Easy installation, fits inside your stock carrier with no mods.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Rear axle for build. Needs list.

Post by eggman918 »

I have been running this http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServ ... /index.htm
for about 75,000 miles now and am extremely happy with them in my Highboy is is a limited slip and not a true locker, but it functions very smoothly and noiselessly. I am running them in both the front and rear and have driven in slick mud as well as on snow and ice, they are predictable even on the front in these conditions the only "drawback" is that if one wheel comes off the ground they will act like a open dif. but the way I use my truck that does not happen and for a street truck it won't either. Over the years I have run Detroit lockers,lunchbox lockers and factory limited slip units and the truetrac are the best for a real world driven vehicle................ :2cents:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?