69 250 2wd body roll , unsafe at highway speed Help ...

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

SoCal250

69 250 2wd body roll , unsafe at highway speed Help ...

Post by SoCal250 »

Hello I'm looking for advice from some who might have had this same issue I finally have my 69 250 C/S on the road I just had new Firestone 9.5 /16.5 Radials installed the old Hecules hucumile were dated 1971 ? !!! Wow I bought the truck used and had to rebuild motor trans pretty much everything .
I also put in new drag link inner outer tie rod ends the steering box is tighten all the way and still has play , the toe was set when tires were put on I have not had king pins done or radius arm bushings / trailing arm bushings done could this cause the truck to sway all over the road ??? At fwy speeds if I go over a bump it's all over and I need to fight like Hell to keep it in my lane
I don't think the steering box even with so much play would cause the truck to sway like that .
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 69 250 2wd body roll , unsafe at highway speed Help ...

Post by sargentrs »

Check your radius arm bushings, your axle pivot bushings and your shocks.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
SoCal250

Re: 69 250 2wd body roll , unsafe at highway speed Help ...

Post by SoCal250 »

I took it to a shop this morning and left it there the guy was telling me as far as the steering box is you can't just turn the upper screw all the way in to reduce play there's a slotted big screw at the bottom as well .
He said to loosen the top screw all the way then crack loose the locking ring on lower slotted screw tighten it till it snugs then back that out 1/2 turn tighten locking ring then the upper bolt and Allen head do the same snug it then back out 1/2 turn so both gears are tighten basically the same is that how it's done ? I seen the slotted screw on many power steering boxes never knew that's how you did it .as far as pivot arm bushing one was no good he said it only needs sleeves for the king pins .