Stock highboy ride height

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Stock highboy ride height

Post by Lone Ranger »

Well as the title explains I'm wondering if anyone one knows the stock ride height of a 69 highboy. Mine is all stock but the front is saggy. Middle of hub to middle of bump is 26" in the front and 30" in the back. I know they should have some take; but 4 inches seems a bit much. I couldn't measure hub to wheel opening because the front openings is bigger than the rear.
I researched rearching and lots of people said the springs relaxed after a year or so. New springs aren't cheap but might be the best way to go. Has anyone else lifted the front back up?
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Stock highboy ride height

Post by BobbyFord »

GVWR varies between vehicles and affects ride height. 45 year old springs are worn out no matter what.
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

Pretty common for the frontend springs to flatten out over the many years of use. When I got my truck, my springs in front laid pretty flat under load and I only had about an inch of clearance from the bottom of the bump stop to the top of the spring pack. Even the rear leaf packs had lost arch and where in poor shape. I ended up replacing all the springs and bushings on my truck. The rear leaf packs were made to OE specs and the front springs I had made with a little bit more lift in them so that the truck would end up leveled out.
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
71PA_Highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 71PA_Highboy »

I measured mine recently to address this also.

I measured from the ground to the center of the body line and I am sitting at 44 front and 44 1/8 in the rear AFTER I adjusted it.

I am running Stock rear springs and Super duty fronts with 1 leaf removed.

Pic is in the 4x4 section.
Got Ford?
2 EarlyBroncos (68,69)
2 Classic Mustangs (69,70)
1 F250 4x4 (71) - OB - 360, NP435, D24, HPD60 4.10, D60,
1 94 Ranger, 2.3, 5spd
1 Lincoln Mark VIII
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

What would you guys recommend for an affordable/easy "leveling kit" ?
Kyle
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

I haven't seen any "leveling kits" for these trucks for sale. Our trucks when new had a rake built into them and I know you can buy new OE springs that will put your truck back to the factory stock height with the rake. If you want a lift, Skyjacker makes 2 and 4 inch lift kits for our trucks still. On my truck, I bought a new set of OE springs for the rear and then had a custom set of springs made for the front to get the frontend up; so that my truck ended leveled out. Hope that helps.
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
farmallmta

Post by farmallmta »

The trick for the front end on a Ford highboy was communicated to me by a Ford suspension tech many years ago

The mistake many make is putting stiffer springs under the front end. This is not a good idea because it leads to jarring of the engine bay and often the engine mounts will break and the axle tubes/housing will bend or crack. Do not add any more "WHAM! BAM!" to the front suspension. Instead, keep the springs factory light and have them re-arched to put the height back up where it should be for proper clearance and driveline angles.
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

Thanks guys. I've seen new springs from LMC are like 400 bucks I might go that route eventually. I've only bought smaller stuff from them so hopefully they'd be decent.
Kyle