Steering Wheel Gap

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Jzbochat

Steering Wheel Gap

Post by Jzbochat »

Now I know this topic has been discussed, but I have tried everything to close the gap on my steering wheel. I loosened the bolts that hold the column to the firewall and loosened the mounts in the cab. I tried to gently pull up on the column, the gap wouldn't close and when I finally got it to close, the steering linkage would rub against the clamp on the firewall making it hard to shift gears ( I have included a picture of me pointing to it). Then I suspected that I am having a problem with my "rag joint" and or steering coupler, it seems fine to me, but could this be the problem? I can push on my steering wheel and the gap will close, but I can't tighten the steering wheel nut anymore. Does anyone have any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MadMike

Re: Steering Wheel Gap

Post by MadMike »

Before trying to adjust anything, verify that the two main bearings in the column are not worn/sagging. If those bearings are worn out you will most likely be chasing this problem forever. These will locate where the steering shaft is inside the column, not just radially but fore/aft &or up/down.
Take the column apart, clean it up, replace any worn bearings/bushings/seals and reassemble.
Readjust the column so it fits the steering wheel properly.
-Michael
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Steering Wheel Gap

Post by Canonman67 »

:yt: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =5&t=72274 The link is a good how to write by Sargentars.