What wheels will fit my '71 F250

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Fun Family Ford

What wheels will fit my '71 F250

Post by Fun Family Ford »

Hi,
I realize this subject has been discussed but there is so much information that a dumb newbie like me can't sort it out.
What used wheels should I look at for my '71 f250 2wd with front disc brakes (factory I believe). I don't want to go to the junkyard and drag home the wrong ones. The truck is not driveable yet so I can't take it to "try them on".

If I simply knew what year wheels and which manufacturer (Ford or Dodge if I understand correctly) would likely fit, that would be greatly helpful.

Also, can modern tires be mounted onto my split rims if it comes down to that? Not my preference but I can't use the 30 year old tires that are on it now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Mike
Towing2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: What wheels will fit my '71 F250

Post by colnago »

Ford changed bolt pattern in the mid-90s. I think 1996 is the last year you can use a Ford truck rim. I think the vans went a while longer, but I don't know when they made the switch. Basically, you're looking for 8x6.5. If you see 8x165, it won't fit. I think Dodge and Chevy still use 8x6.5. My rims are nut-centric (it uses acorn nuts, which center the wheel as you tighten the nuts. Modern Chevy are hub-centric (the rims are centered by snugging up to the hub, and use flat nuts to hold the rim on). Just as important to check is the axle diameter. I have a Dana 60 rear axle, so it needs a wheel with a big middle hole. Not all wheels will go over my axle. I don't know when/where/who/why this changed.

You can get modern tires that fit the 16.5 split rim, but they're hard to find. Also, the split rim isn't well regarded, unless you are planning a true restoration.

Just my :2cents:

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Fun Family Ford

Post by Fun Family Ford »

Thanks for the help.
Sounds like the best way to go is take a notepad and a measuring tape to the junkyard and make sure everything looks good. Just hope I can find something.
Thanks again.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"colnago"]Ford changed bolt pattern in the mid-90s. I think 1996 is the last year you can use a Ford truck rim. I think the vans went a while longer, but I don't know when they made the switch. Basically, you're looking for 8x6.5. If you see 8x165, it won't fit. I think Dodge and Chevy still use 8x6.5. My rims are nut-centric (it uses acorn nuts, which center the wheel as you tighten the nuts. Modern Chevy are hub-centric (the rims are centered by snugging up to the hub, and use flat nuts to hold the rim on). Just as important to check is the axle diameter. I have a Dana 60 rear axle, so it needs a wheel with a big middle hole. Not all wheels will go over my axle. I don't know when/where/who/why this changed.

You can get modern tires that fit the 16.5 split rim, but they're hard to find. Also, the split rim isn't well regarded, unless you are planning a true restoration.

Just my :2cents:

Joseph
Joseph is right on this. I built and owned a 71' F-350 for almost 15 years that I'd found a rare set of Alcoa, (DRW) to fit. A tape measure is of little help here as the difference is so insignificant it's hard to tell. Here's a real...good investment to take into the boneyard with you that will save you a ton of time and money if your not sure on the year your looking at pulling rims from. I'd seen these as auto swap meets for less than $20. There is also free downloadable printable versions of the gauge-just google.
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1600& ... jpsV_Ul_Is
And on a side note there are a few aftermarket eight lug wheels being made now too i believe.
Here's one of the nicer repo wheels for the eight lug (made here in Chattanooga by the world famous Coker tire):
https://www.cokertire.com/wheels/truck- ... rimed.html
Another option of the wheel:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16x7-outlaw-2- ... LW&vxp=mtr

And please do yourself a favor! If you have any intention of keep ing the truck start ditching the deathtrap split rims now before you start investing any money at all into them. It's one of the safest upgrades you can make to the truck other than the headlight wiring harness upgrade.
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

[/quote]And please do yourself a favor! If you have any intention of keep ing the truck start ditching the deathtrap split rims now before you start investing any money at all into them. It's one of the safest upgrades you can make to the truck other than the headlight wiring harness upgrade.[/quote]

:yt:
Those things were dangerous when they were new - my :2cents: is I wouldn't even drive it around the block with them on there - I wouldn't run them even on a correct restoration......I'd keep them but wouldn't put them on unless it was gonna set in a museum - one bad experience with my dad's 1962 GMC 3/4 ton put me off them forever........ :eek:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR