1968 ignition problem

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
1968f250

1968 ignition problem

Post by 1968f250 »

Hello everyone! I am new to the Ford world, as I have been a Chevy guy up until yesterday when I took possession of a 1968 F250 Camper Special. I thought I was getting an all original piece to work off of, but someone has done a real hack job under the dash.

My problem is this....when you turn the key nothing happens, but if you disconnect one of the wires from the coil it will turn over and over but not fire. I don't expect it to fire without the wire attached, but is this an ignition switch problem or a coil problem? I tried switching out the coil with another one, but it was not new and was just on the shelf in the garage. I have checked the wiring going to and from the coil and they match the wiring diagrams listed on the site for 1967. Any help is appreciated.
sold truck 8-16-06
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: 1968 ignition problem

Post by bluef250 »

Stop by the Welcome Mat and introduce yourself. And welcome.

Make sure the small starter side terminal on the starter solenoid is connected to the coil. From + terminal follow battery cable to solenoid. The bat side wire is from the start switch and small starter side wire goes to the coil.

Sounds like the po replaced the starter switch. Check the wires carefully.

Since the truck turns over, power is going through the switch and energizing the solenoid. No power to the coil on start or run. On start power (12 vdc) goes through the solenoid to coil, on run power goes through a resistor wire to coil (9-10 vdc). Good luck and let us know what happens.
1968f250

Post by 1968f250 »

I put a new solenoid on it last night, it does start now, but the starter continues to spin. I have ordered a new key switch as it is very hard to turn also. Hopefully that will help.
Thanks.
sold truck 8-16-06
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Sounds like some wires are switched on the ignition switch. At the start position you should have power to the starter solenoid at small battery post. On run you should not have power at small battery post. If the starter keeps running on run then the starter solenoid is still being fed power.
1968f250

Post by 1968f250 »

Thanks for the help, I am hoping that the new switch will solve the problem. It starts turning the starter in the run position and you don't even get to the spring loaded starter positon on the key switch. I am keeping my fingers crossed, the new key switch will be in tomorrow.
sold truck 8-16-06