All new wiring, or spot fixes?

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
kaulike

All new wiring, or spot fixes?

Post by kaulike »

Hi all,

I should start by saying that I have about half a degree in electrical engineering and in the past have rewired cars, houses, and computers---mostly computers. :eek:

Truck is a 68 F100, 390FE. Interior was mostly trashed when I bought it many years ago as a beater truck, and has not improved with age---as I posted on the Interior forum, I'm dealing with lots of mold and rust, weatherstripping, and such.

There are also some wiring issues. Taillights no longer work, either as brakelights or turn signals, and the turn signal switch is probably original equipment. Most other things seem to work with the exception of the dash gauges, but none of them have been hooked up in my tenure other than the fuel gauge which reads 3/4 full when the tank is topped. Needless to say, all of the wires have a coating of grime, particularly those running the length of the bed, and it is minor grade spaghetti under the dash.

I'd like to replace the tail wires, but don't want to get into a full wiring redux, since we want to spend as little as possible. I have the wiring diagram (THANKS AGAIN, KEITH) but much of it doesn't seem to apply---for example, I have no fuse box at all, on the firewall or anywhere else.

I realize I will probably be advised to bite the bullet and rewire the entire truck, but I need to maintain some marital bliss and save money for the house. However, any advice will be taken seriously. It all looks pretty straightforward, but it is good to to know this resource exists in case I get stuck!
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

I would rebuild it completely.

Either get a good wiring harness out of another pickup or make one up.
Last edited by spartman on Tue May 30, 2006 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FoMoCo
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: All new wiring, or spot fixes?

Post by FoMoCo »

Second on finding another harness.
1969 F-100
2006 Fusion SEL
2006 e-320 cdi
2004 excursion V-10
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i just went through the same mess and the truck i was working on had no fuse box either. i got tired of messing with it because none of the colors matched the scheme for that year. since i had another harness i just put it in. it was a ton easier than trying to fix the old harness.
Fast74Ranger

Post by Fast74Ranger »

Painless wiring my friend... painless wiring!

http://painless.r-catalog.com/pg-lkp/partdetail.asp

About $400 without switches and fraction of the headache