Brake switch and reverse switch

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
bigdaveb12

Brake switch and reverse switch

Post by bigdaveb12 »

I was wondering if anyone has pics of the location of the brake switch. I was also wondering if anyone knows a source for the reverse light switch on the steering column for the 3-speed automatic with power steering.
'67 F-100 Camper Special
390 (actually 420) FE, Cruise-o-matic
Leadfoot
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Brake switch and reverse switch

Post by Leadfoot »

the brake light switch is at the top of the brake pedal swing arm, just under the pivot area.

the reverse light switch is in the natural safety normally mounted on the bottom section of the steering shaft. (just over the brake pedal) You should see a switch with 4 wires coming out of it. Normally the red with the blue line is you neutral safety and the black with a red line is your back up lights.
WHAT ?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

The brake switch on a '67 is mounted onto the master cylinder pushrod.

The '68-up brakelight switch is a plunger-type switch, which is screwed into a bracket welded to the brake pedal:

The neutral safety / backup light switch is mounted at the base of the column, almost up against the firewall:

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

And sometimes the metal pointer atached to the colum gets off centered it is spring metal. And it is what works the switch when you move the selector.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
bigdaveb12

Post by bigdaveb12 »

Thanks for the photos and quick responses. I know that I can buy the nuetral safety switch at Dennis Carpenter's, but I don't know where to purchase the back-up light switch assembly that suits on top of the column. For what ever reason the previous owner removed it.