Anybody know the torque values for a closed knuckle?

4x4 & Off-road Forum Archives

Moderator: Doug Comer

brownac1983

Anybody know the torque values for a closed knuckle?

Post by brownac1983 »

I've found the parts and I'm putting the closed knuckle on my '67 f-250 (dana 44) back together. Does anybody have any torque values for putting these things back together? I would think that the 8 seal retaining bolts, the 4 top and 4 bottom bearing retainer bolts and the 5 backing plate bolts should have some specific torque values. If anybody has done a few of these or has a shop manual laying around, I would appreciate any info you could give me that would make it easier. I'm using a book called the "Ford F-series Owner's Bible" by Moses Ludel. It's a good reference with a lot of pictures, but it doesn't list many torque values because it covers so many years and models. Thanks for the help.
:fr:
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Most shop manuals have standard torque tables in them. You just look up the size of the bolt and it's grade and it gives you the torque specs.

I work on transmissions and suspension parts everyday and yes, I actually do torque stuff with a calibrated torque wrench! I just use the charts, so much easier than looking up a torque spec buried in a factory manual somewhere.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
69bluef100

re: Anybody know the torque values for a closed knuckle?

Post by 69bluef100 »

Old trucks, like old computers are more fun. Is the web really fun? No but its utilitarian. Spitfire, Wildcat, Fidonet, QWK and door games were FUN. The new truck works and its pretty, but compared to a bumpside or dentside, it just isn't fun.