Defroster setup

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Defroster setup

Post by spartman »

I don't know if this question has been asked before or not, so forgive me if I am asking a question that the answer has already provided.

I was wondering if a person could take the heat/defrost setup out of the newer (73-79) pickup and put it into the 67-72 model pickups?

The reason I was thinking is that the defrosters on the 67-72 series trucks, well SUCKS! :wink:

The defrosters in the newer trucks work much better and happen to have the defrosters in front of the driver and passenger instead of in the center.

I came across a website were a person redid his dash with ducts out of a Dodge van or something and redid the dash to make it work.

I don't know how he turned out but it did have a lot of promise.

It seems like an easy and/or doable project I was just wondering if FORD was nice enough to make it easier for me and I don't need to break out as much of my welding skills.

Thanks guys.
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Defroster setup

Post by spartman »

Here is another thought.
Could I just redo the defroster ducts and instead of putting the 67-72 dash pad back on could I use the "half" pad that is used in the 73-79 pickups instead?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

No, you can't use the '73-'79 pad....it dips down in the middle, right where the '67-'72 radio would go.

As for moving the vents, it's not a bad idea, but where would you put them?? The only place I could think of would be where the ashtray is. It's do-able, but seems like a lot of work for the small amount of air that would come out there.

Check your ducts to make sure they're still connected and aren't torn up...and aren't clogged from debris falling down the vents too.

Now if you were to install an F-600 instrument cluster, you'd have a spot on each side of the speedo to mount an in-dash heat vent. You'd probably want a round one though.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

spartman I was pulling a wiper motor and switch assembly of a 79 a few days back and it was a PITA working up under that dash. The 73-79 trucks have a plastic defuser for the defrost mounted to the underside of the dash. I wanted to remove that defuser thing to get at one of the bolts that holds the wiper motor and wound up breaking it to get it out. To get it out intact might require pulling everything else out of the dash first. And you might need to get the 73-79 heater box to get it to work - not sure on that though.

Keith has a point about heater ducts. They rip easy. But duct tape can take care of that quick.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

If the defrost tubes are ripped and you would prefer not to tape them, Dennis Carpenter sells replacement tubes and seals for $15 and $45. $15 buys plastic and $45, cloth.
jor
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

I found the link about the ducts that I had mentioned before:

http://www.bumpsides.com/cab.html

I guess the thing that got me thinking about it was that I was parting out a Chevy pickup and thought why couldn't I put "regular" defroster vents into my 67?

I know the cars of the day had the defroster vents in front of the driver and passenger.

Just a thought I guess.

I really just want the defrosters to work better, I don't want to redirect them anywhere other than the windshield.
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

Keith:

I was wondering if you happend to have a picture of the top of that 73-79 vintage pickup that you showed the front of?

Thanks
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I just looked through all my pics of trucks from that generation, and I don't have a single one showing the top of the dash area. I also checked E-bay,and there isn't anything there either right now.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: dash pad

Post by dotcentral »

Spartman, you could probably find an auto upholstery place that would cut a 67-72 style dash pad down to look like the 73-79 style pad.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

That wouldn't be a bad idea.

My dash pad could be a perfect candidate since it is shot anyways.

I just want to thank everyone who has responded and helped me out with this.

I am not quite yet ready to tear into my 67 since I have 2 other projects in front of it, but I thought as long as I have the time I would see what I could or could not do with the truck when I am actually ready to work on it.

Merry Christmas to all.
jreb333

Post by jreb333 »

you might check your fan motor or the resistor controlling the motor. i have the stock 67-72 set-up with the dual ducts feeding the dash vents and they defrost great. if your fan is not putting out what it used to that might solve your problem. also make sure the ducts are intact and clamped on both ends. those little plastic clamps on the ends like to come off. also are you getting a good seal on your air valve in the box? sometimes those dont close or seal all the way letting your air pressure escape into the floorboard. some foam weatherstripping can solve this.

hope this helps!
JESUS LOVES YOU! everyone else thinks your a jackass!
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

Here's an idea. I'm shooting from the hip and I haven't checked clearances, but when I do, I might just do this too.
Ok, there is a slight gap between the windshield and the dash pad. What if you were to cut a slot at this area on each side. Then go find some ducting (actually do that first so you can cut the hole to match) from a junk yard, look for ducts that are narrow since the slot is narrow. Attach the duct, then plumb a hose to the blower box. I'm betting there is enough room in the blower box for a hole somewhere that you could make work.
When done it would look original, but be more functional. You don't need much of a hole and if the feed hose is larger at the blower box end you'd get some decent volume to make a difference.
Again, just shooting from the hip, but I might check this out myself because I agree the design sucks.
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

Okay. The way I understand what you have said is that basically are making side defrosters?

What I was thinking of doing was to either eliminate the dash pad and go with the hard metal dash with some longer defroster ducts cut into it or,
modify a 73-79 dash pad and add the ducts.

I think that it would look factory or very close.