instrument cluster lighting

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

DirtyJim

instrument cluster lighting

Post by DirtyJim »

The lights in my instrument cluster (72 F100) seem awful dim. I've cleaned the cluster and it is in great shape....the bulbs in it currently are GE194's, and none are burned out. Has anyone replaced these with anything different or done anything to brighten up the cluster? Maybe I need to clean the dimmer switch?

I suppose this should be moved to the electrical and wiring group...sorry about that.
f100ranger1969

re: instrument cluster lighting

Post by f100ranger1969 »

You might want to try the new fad in lighting: LED's or Light Emitting Diodes. They make em to plug into almost all standard automotive light bulb sockets, including instrument clusters. They burn at optimum efficiency while giving off NO heat and more light than ordinary bulbs. Try the link at the bottom. They sell all kinds and sizes of LED bulbs. You'll have to search around for your type of socket. These may or may not work depending on the type of back on your cluster. Not sure if they will work with the printed circuit board type. But anyway its a start and an idea! I cant vouch for this site, i never used them, just ran across them one day!
Good Luck

http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

Jeff
'69 Calif Ranger in PA, 2001 GMC Sierra SL 4x4
-----------
Liar, Lawyer, Mirror show me, Whats the difference?
DirtyJim

re: instrument cluster lighting

Post by DirtyJim »

Thanks for the idea. I actually have a ton of superbright leds in the shop and was thinking I might just manufacture something on my own for this very purpose, but I was looking for the easy fix, hehe. I was hoping someone might tell me I had the wrong bulbs installed :lol: I'll see if they make a wedge base led lamp that will pop in, otherwise I may just replace the whole cluster with new gauges....this is a great excuse to do just that. (right honey?)