F250 Custom Gauge Cluster Project

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Jobless

F250 Custom Gauge Cluster Project

Post by Jobless »

Thought I'd start a new thread for this project.

I was tired of the old gauges and was looking for a new fairly simple project I could screw around with. As the other thread showed there are a few companies out there that allready make custom dash's for my truck but why pay the price when a little time and patience can build the same thing. Unlike their's I'll be re-using, modifying & painting the original plastic gauge cluster.

Once the aluminum panel is complete a friend offered to media blast it and throw it in with some work related projects and get it black anodized (no charge...sweeeeet)

I allready had the tranny temp, electronic speedo & pedestal tach of the same series so I just had to pick up the mechanical/electronic adapter for the speedo and the other gauges I didn't allready have.

What's cool about the electronic speedo is that it is programmable so that you can make up for inaccuracies caused by R&P changes and tire sizes.

All parts are from Summit Racing. All gauges are Autometer Phantom series.

ATM-5780 Electronic Tach
ATM-5887 0-120mph Speedo (similar but not the exact model I have)
ATM-5757 Transmission Temperature, 100-250 Degrees F
ATM-2234 Angle Rings
ATM-5292 Speedometer sender (converts the mechanical cable to an electronic signal)
ATM-5715 Fuel Level, Empty/Full, 73 Ohms/8-12 Ohms
ATM-5721 Oil Pressure, 0-100 psi.
ATM-5737 Water Temperature, 100-250 Degrees F
ATM-5791 Voltmeter, 8-18 Volts

I also started to lay out the 1/8" aluminum dash plate. The gauges will be layed out different then the ones from the companies listed on the other thread. I have a smaller diameter steering wheel and also have installed different seats which gives a different view of the dash panel. So in order to make up for the viewing angle and the positioning of the steering wheel there will be three gauges mounted side by side in the lower middle, the speedo will be centered far right and the other two gauges will be just outside the diameter of the steering wheel towards the top. The tach will be mounted to the steering column rotated down off the right side.

Turn (Green) and High Beam (Blue) indicators will be 12V LED's I have leftover from a previous Jeep project.

I'm also thinking of installing some toggle switches to replace the existing cargo light and hazard pull knob switches and maybe a few extras for some driving lights and whatever?
Last edited by Jobless on Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jobless

re: F250 Custom Gauge Cluster Project

Post by Jobless »

This isn't to scale but pretty much what I was thinking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no24

Post by no24 »

I like that.
None of my gauges work, so... I want to install a complete set of after martket as well. Keep me updated as I'm wondering how hard it will be..
THANKS
1970 F250 Project
Speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?
Jobless

Post by Jobless »

Received a box from Summit yesterday 8) I have everything except the switches to replace the factory Cargo & Hazard knobs.

The 1/8" aluminum plate is roughly cut but I need to do some fitting to make it work with the angle and radiused corners of the factory dash cluster.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

You ARE planning on taking pictures during this project, aren't you? I think it would make a great addition to the site....that is, a "How I Dunnit" piece on building a custom panel. Everyone's always looking for new ideas, so your experiences would definitely be a help to everyone. :D
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Jobless

Re: re: F250 Custom Gauge Cluster Project

Post by Jobless »

FORDification wrote:You ARE planning on taking pictures during this project, aren't you? I think it would make a great addition to the site....that is, a "How I Dunnit" piece on building a custom panel. Everyone's always looking for new ideas, so your experiences would definitely be a help to everyone. :D
Yeah, I'll put up some pictures...let me go out to the garage and take a few.
Last edited by Jobless on Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jobless

Post by Jobless »

Use the usual mostly stock dash that all of you are familiar with
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jobless

Post by Jobless »

And here's what's instore for it in the near future.
Jobless

Post by Jobless »

Starting looking at the hall effect speedo sender and of course I ordered the wrong one.

The fords use a plug in style sending unit in the transmission Summit part number ATM-5292.

I'll be ripping the factory dash cluster out tonight and doing some cutting on it to make way for the aluminum.
dragtruck

Post by dragtruck »

You may want to check the junkyards for a steel bezel for the factory guage gluster if you don't want to modify or use the plastic one,on the steel ones the center is completely open and you could TIG some tabs on to mount your aluminum plate to.Thats my plans for my 72.I have not figured out what years they were offered but I got mine out of both F100&250's.They bolt one to the dash just like the plastic ones .
Jobless

Re: re: F250 Custom Gauge Cluster Project

Post by Jobless »

dragtruck wrote:You may want to check the junkyards for a steel bezel for the factory guage gluster if you don't want to modify or use the plastic one,on the steel ones the center is completely open and you could TIG some tabs on to mount your aluminum plate to.Thats my plans for my 72.I have not figured out what years they were offered but I got mine out of both F100&250's.They bolt one to the dash just like the plastic ones .
I thought of that after seeing another similar project that was happening with the metal dash. My free time is limited so I didn't want to search for the metal one. A little creative cutting and the plastic cluster will work...then a little sanding and paint and it should be good as new.
Jobless

Post by Jobless »

Got a little work done it last night. Still need to drill the high beam and trun signal holes to final size and maybe a few more for mounting to the plastic factory bezel.

Ordered the real switches, the ones in the picture are just for the poser shot 8)
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

Looks nice....

I'm using an F600 Panel but I'm installing Auto Meter gauges in it...
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers
Jobless

Post by Jobless »

Chopped & sanded the factory bezel (it kind of looks like ass but once painted and assembled it will be good) and just need to enlarge the 8 mounting holes for attaching the aluminum to the bezel. I'll paint the bezel tonight, Semi-Flat Black, and start the assembly and wiring of the quages & swicthes Saturday.

In order top get things moving a little faster I'm going to leave the aluminum bare instead of having it media blasted and anodized. I have some other aluminum projects for the interior so at least this way it will all match. I finished the new guage mount with some 220 grit paper on the orbital sander. It gives a clean smooth surface that isn't overly reflective.
morganater

Post by morganater »

Wow thats looking liek a great project. Never really understood how to cut the aluminum that nicely, and get it lookin show quality. Wish i had the dough for like $500 in autometer gauges.
1969 f100 swb ranger 460 - parting out
1968 f100 swb 429 - decking out
94 Jeep I6 Back-up vehicle
reppin' AK