Seat Belts?

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

mustango

Seat Belts?

Post by mustango »

I'd like to install shoulder belts in my '71 f100. I've seen the later model trucks with the retractor built into the cab. I'm not into fabricating mounts like that on my truck. Anyone have a better idea? I'm thinking floor mounted retractors with a shoulder loop.
Mark C.

'71 F-100 LB, FE 390.

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who once said, "I drank what?" (Val Kilmer in Real Genius)
Ford390pwr

re: Seat Belts?

Post by Ford390pwr »

The best mod i have seen for an old truck like ours is to go with a seat which has a built in shoulder harness. They are very common in the high end GM vehichles like Tahoe, Denali, Hummer and even a few cars. I believe that these are used on some of the new Ford Superduty trucks, but I am not sure about the years!

These are all over eBay, and pretty easy to find in a wrecking yard that deals in the late model cars.

I would be interested in other ideas, but this is what I was thinking of doing on my project.
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

Isn't there a stock mounting point in that pillar? :hmm: I assumed that's what the plastic plug is on mine..
John H.
4x4x4crewcab
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 4x4x4crewcab »

John
This link will have a photo of a stock shoulder belt set up for our style trucks. There are 3 other photos in my webshots folder if you would like to see more. I met a guy here in town with this option in his truckhttp://community.webshots.com/photo/111 ... 6894ZrmcMw
Mark
1970 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 short box
1969 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
1999 Ford Windstar
1983 Chevrolet Silverado p/u
1990 Lincoln Town Car
1998 Lincoln Town Car
Does your truck need emblems? Check out http://www.onceuponapart.com
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

Looks to be right where I have a small plastic plug in both sides of mine... guess I'll have to do some looking.
Thanks for the pic!!
John
Ford390pwr

Post by Ford390pwr »

I was wondering if that was an option that they had done! I know in my crewcab, there are 4 of those mounting points, i just wasn't sure if it was strong enough to anchor a seatbelt! I would hate to have it pull out in a crash and have me or my kids go flying through the air.....

I like the looks of that dodge style, so i will have to start looking!