Seat tracks

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

wt4speed

Seat tracks

Post by wt4speed »

Just a word on seat swapping when I bought my current truck it already had a 90's something seat in it . I noticed right away that this cab didnt have the leg room I had remembered my '72 had , it handled like a little red wagon with a ski rope attached to each steer tire , although greasing the king pins helped , i also fell like i was falling off the seat all the time .
after pondering the sitiation I realized that the seat bottom was tilted forward and down (I think i posted a through the door pic where you can see) who ever installed the seat had good intentions and probably were under the impression that the 90's something seat frame wouldn't work on the stock seat tracks . they where mounted on the newer tracks that curved over and bolted to the bottom or middle of the seat platform incline .
The fact is, if it is a Ford bench truck seat it will attach to the exsisting studs made to stock seat track,most of the new seats attachwith bolts thur the tracks and thread into a boss welded in to the seat frame . This is the key to making the modification remove seat tracks from newer seat and discard them they are useless for your application. if 67-72 seat track arestill in your truck simpily unbolt older seat from seat tracks, no need to remove seat tracks from cab , again while you have them exposed now is time to clean runs and release mechinsm , dont be shy with lubripalte.
DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT remove studs from 67-72 seat tracks , drill out thread bosses on newer seat frame , slide seat slider as far forward as possible taking care to move either side equal . Slip newer bench seat over studs and bolt down .
This applies to the bench seat and any aftermarket seat produced to take place o fa stock bench, not sure about application for 60/40 split or factory bucket console setups
After finding a set of stock 67-72 seat runners and removing and performing above described method , I've regained the exact feel, handling and leg room I remember experencing in my 1st last life, although now relearning the steering and handeling characteristics of my truck ,(not having to prop myself up on steering wheel causing the need for overcompensating). the comfort of the F-model has returned

Tony B
DFW Area
6mine9
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Seat tracks

Post by flyboy2610 »

Good post.
Thank you! :D
FoMoCo
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Seat tracks

Post by FoMoCo »

Thank you! I have a tow truck seat from a 1994 Ford that I was going to fit to my 67.

Nick
1969 F-100
2006 Fusion SEL
2006 e-320 cdi
2004 excursion V-10