Seatbelt Retractor

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Commodore Woods

Seatbelt Retractor

Post by Commodore Woods »

My passanger side seatbelt in my '72 F100 Ranger XLT won't retract, hasn't since I got the truck, any hints on how to take apart and fix?
'72 F100 Ranger XLT 390 V-8, C6 Trans.
"You can lead a man to knowledge, but you can't make him think"
"Hear and see all evil, Document such evil, speak it at the correct time" IOW Cover thy A$$
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Seatbelt Retractor

Post by willowbilly3 »

Pull up the cover, it comes hard. Take a 1/2 inch wrench, remove the nut and pull the pin. Inside is a plastic bushing on each end of a spring with a sleeve through the middle then the bolt goes through that. It probably has one end of the spring broke off. Get one from another truck, I guess.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Commodore Woods

Post by Commodore Woods »

I pulled it all apart just like you said... That cover is a ROAYL PAIN... Anyhoo, it wasn't the spring that was broken it was the sleeve inside the belt that broke. Is there anyway to just replace this sleeve or should I stop messing with this and find an assembly at a wrecking yard?
'72 F100 Ranger XLT 390 V-8, C6 Trans.
"You can lead a man to knowledge, but you can't make him think"
"Hear and see all evil, Document such evil, speak it at the correct time" IOW Cover thy A$$
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Well, you are going to need one to get the parts out of anyway, doubt if ford has that sleeve on the shelf anymore. I've had a broken one on the 72 for 10 years (passenger side) I just left the cover off and run it under the seatback side arm. This actually isn't a bad setup and it doesn't always whack the door when you unbuckle.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.