Adding a Tachometer suggestions

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

cancow

Adding a Tachometer suggestions

Post by cancow »

Hello. Anyone add a tach to there trucks? My 67 352 could use one. Is a steering shaft tach the only option? What is a decent lower priced one? Are there any issues hooking one up on a 352? Thanks
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Adding a Tachometer suggestions

Post by FORDification »

Hooking a tach up should be a simple 4-wire task. As for the mounting, the simplest by far is the column mount. However, if you don't mind doing a little work, you can replace your instrument panel with an aftermarket version which will allow you to add standard round gauges. Or you can simply bolt in an F600 instrument panel to mount a tach into. Take a look at THIS THREAD to see an example of an F600 instrument panel. Some versions also come with a tach, but it's a mechanical-drive setup, meaning you'd have to use a mechanical-drive distributor.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

cancow,
Did your Tach come with all the paper work with it?

If so it's an really easy install to do and will take you about 1hr to do it all and be on the road again.

If your Tach doesnt have the Paper work for it send me the Name of the Tach and the Model # and I'll try to get that back to you as soon as I can.

Mine is on the Column right now untill I get my F600 Panel ready to go.You could mount it at the bottom of the Dash Lip,just below you Heater controls or something like that.
On one of my Other Trucks I had it a the -A- Piller.Then in my 66 Mustang Drag Car I had it on the Dash just to the Left of the Steering Wheel. But thats just a few places I've put them.... :drive:
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers
cancow

Re: re: Adding a Tachometer suggestions

Post by cancow »

cobraF100 wrote:cancow,
Did your Tach come with all the paper work with it?:
Thanks for the help! I do not have a tach yet. I guess i will do the column mount. I like the look of the original gauges so i think that is what will work best for me. Or maybe a mount hanging below the dash on the right side. Any suggestions on what companies make a tach that looks right for the late 60s?
bumt72

Post by bumt72 »

Has anyone hooked up a mechanical Tach recently? If so could I bug them for pointers
Kep

1972 F250 Da Big Ugly Man TruckDa BUMT
1961 F100 Stepside (Father/Daughter Project)UnNamed