Headliner repair?

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Headliner repair?

Post by dotcentral »

I have an intact headliner. It is stained and bows down in the center, except where the center screw is holding it up.

I would like to take the sagging or bow out of it. My girlfriend has volunteered to cover it in fabric. I guess it could be removed, and then steamed and pushed back into shape. Would that be permanent, or will it want to pop back out?

I was wondering if instead of steaming it, If I painted it with something brush on like Kilz primer (a house paint, mold killing primer). That should seal it, stopping any discoloration and maybe wetting it enough to push back into shape and helping it hold the original shape?

What do you think?
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Headliner repair?

Post by heep70 »

I wouldn't think that one could striaghten the headliner with paint. I would be tempted to try the steam and see if it would work. Try it before putting the fabric on to save time and expense.

Hit the bone yards, I am sure there is one out there that is striaght.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

A previous owner had painted the headliner at some point. That might have contributed to the bowing. I can push the bowed out areas back into shape, but it snaps back into the distorted shape as soon as I let go. Right now I have it laying in the bed, between the wheel tubs, which is pushing the bowed out areas back in close to where it should be.

I'm thinking maybe some steam, let it dry, then this kilz primer stuff and let it dry. There are some rust stains and dirty areas on it, it needs to be treated with something to seal it, I'd think.

Metal surrounds/trim are a little rusty. Were these things supposed to be painted an ivory color? Thats what it looks like now.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

Well if your going to cover it then maybe you can put some find of "Stiff Stirps" (like wood srips) behind it and attach it with Srews or something,then with it covered you wont be able to see them.... :hmm:
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

My '71 trim is a flat white. My old '72 ranger was chrome.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by NM5K »

A previous owner had painted the headliner at some point. That might have contributed to the bowing. >>>>>>>

I doubt it. Bowing is usually by water leakage that runs in from either the windshield seals, or a hole on the roof. IE: leaky antenna holes, running light leaks,...etc..
Mine was bowed, and I'm almost sure it was water, as I did have a leakage problem at the windshield. When I painted mine white, it had no effect on the bowing. Paint normally shouldn't get it wet enough.
If you can find some thin particle board, etc, you could cut out a new panel, if you want it to really be straight. On mine, the bowing wasn't *that* bad. Noticable, but I don't spend much time looking at the ceiling so I let it pass... :lol: MK
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip
69F110
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 69F110 »

I concur with Jondon. I never had the opportunity to repair and replace mine before coming to Germany...but the plan was to get a piece of that cardboard/particle board just like is in there now...with all the holes in it. I had an upholstery shop down the road from the house in Louisiana and the owner was going to square me away with the board for free. I had the fabric and all to cover it...courtesy of Wal-Mart.

My total cost would have been around $25.00 plus a couple hours to cover it, glue it and replace metal framing.

It can be done...go for it. Plus, you Girl already agreed to cover it for you. Take advantage of that my friend, and give her a hug for wanting to help.
Steve Davis
Pastor and U.S. Army Retired

1969 F100 Ranger LWB, 390 and 3 on the tree