Door Panel Removal

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

jcwillis

Door Panel Removal

Post by jcwillis »

:?

Hi,
I have a 1969 F-250 (Camper Special) and the door panels have molding around them to cover the screws. Before I do something stupid and start prying (and subsequently bending things), I thought I would ask if anyone might have some tips on removal. Any particular part of the molding, or point on the door, that I should start at to make the molding removal easier?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and tips.

Jim
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Door Panel Removal

Post by dotcentral »

I use a painters tool, but a wide putty knife would work also. You want to slide it under the trim piece and pop it loose with out gouging anything.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

If the putty knife doesn't work you can use a dull slot screwdriver. The trick is to pry right next to the clips. The first one will scare you a bit but after that they'll probably come right out. You'll probably break a couple of them but you can likely get more at a wrecking yard or from the dealer. Here's a photo of an exposed door so you can see where the clip holes are. Not sure if the link will work. If not, just go to http://jor.photosite.com/ then select the BEFORE album and you'll see it on the bottom right.
jor
>>
http://jor.photosite.com/jor/Right_door ... 03__2.html
jcwillis

Post by jcwillis »

Hi Jor and 70SportCustom,
Thanks for the tips. Jor, the pic really helps a lot. You mention that I may break some of the clips. Is it because they are plastic? I will be taking the panels off this upcoming long holiday weekend to see what is wrong with the main passenger window (only rolls down about 4 inches).
Jim
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

They're metal but old so sometimes they break. One point of clarification: In the photos you will see two sets of holes. The ones that look like metal tabs are the actual threaded door panel mounting holes while the larger holes are the panel trim holes. Just pry as close to the clips as you can. Worst you can do is screw up a couple of clips - no big deal. Good luck.
jor