Horn

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

tyler67f100

Horn

Postby tyler67f100 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:23 am

on my 67 I have the original horns, but neither work, they have been tested and work. The wires are shot to hell and I can't seem to figure out where to start on rewiring them

Lee

Re: Horn

Postby Lee » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:39 pm

double post,... sorry
Last edited by Lee on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lee

Re: Horn

Postby Lee » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Hi,

The horns are wired from the "horn relay" which is mounted on the passenger side fender well right next to the Starter relay. Verify this wire is intact.

Do you have a multi-meter? If not, this is a good time to buy one as they are not expensive and are an invaluable tool for trouble-shooting electrical issues.

Horn circuit: When you push the horn button (or Ring) on the steering wheel depending on yer application, a ground signal to sent from the button/ring to a contact brush just under the rotating steering wheel in the steering coluum. The ground is then send out of the cab in part of the wire harness to the horn relay. This will cause the horn relay to energize and send 12v to each horn.

Since you have verified that the horns themselves work, I would check the horn relay. Sometimes you can hear the relay "click" when someone pushes the horn button/ring.

Sometimes the brush in the column wears out. This requires removing the steering wheel with a "puller". With the wheel off you will see the brush contact at the 2 o'clock position. If you take a piece of wire and ground out this contact to the steering wheel shaft the horn should sound.

Let us know what you find,
Lee

Return to “Electrical & Wiring”