HELP wiring harness/ gauge harness question

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

jb69f100

HELP wiring harness/ gauge harness question

Post by jb69f100 »

:help: I have a 69 f100 ranger, the guages had the two idiot lights and two gauges. I replaced the gauge cluster with one that has 4 gauges, 69 model. The question I have is that the cluster harness connector and the main wiring harness connector have the wires in different locations. Is the main harness the same for either gauges or idiot lights, or is the main harness different depending on options on the truck? Can I just plug the new gauge harness into the old main harness and expect everything to work as normal? Any info will be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Joe
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: HELP wiring harness/ gauge harness question

Post by basketcase0302 »

"jb69f100"]:help: I have a 69 f100 ranger, the guages had the two idiot lights and two gauges. I replaced the gauge cluster with one that has 4 gauges, 69 model. The question I have is that the cluster harness connector and the main wiring harness connector have the wires in different locations. Is the main harness the same for either gauges or idiot lights, or is the main harness different depending on options on the truck? Can I just plug the new gauge harness into the old main harness and expect everything to work as normal? Any info will be greatly appreciated, Thanks
Joe
The harnesses are not the same Joe. The harness for the truck that came out of the showroom floor with the real gauges, (not idiot lights) for one had what is referred to as "shunt wiring" which measures the total amperage draw on the trucks wiring system.
Here's the shunt wiring gauge panel diagram:

And here's the idiot light panel wiring diagram:

You can easily move your idiot light gauge from one panel to the newer one but also keep inmind that the panels also changed for the different years so you'd have to "graft" your old harness to the newer panel which is a little more work. :wink:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4