1971 F-250 original radio not working

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

darrellhilliard

1971 F-250 original radio not working

Post by darrellhilliard »

Hi Everyone,
I recently bought a 1971 F-250. It's my first older truck, and I admit at being a novice.... I'm ok with some of the mechanical repairs, but electrical issues are a different story. The radio is not working. There's a black wire that's disconnected. I've attached a couple of pictures. I'm not sure where that hooks up - I assume it is for the power, but not sure. I found a connection under the driver's side with nothing attached, but nearby, another wire (don't think that one is related to the radio) not attached either - trying to determine what that is for, too.

A couple of questions - first, where does that black wire hook to? Second, it appears that wire has (I think) an inline fuse. If so, how do I open that and replace it?

Thanks for any help in advance for my entry level questions....
Darrell
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
71Fe2O3

Re: 1971 F-250 original radio not working

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

Wiring issues are challenging. I don't know the specific answer to your question, but if you poke around on this site you will find wiring diagrams. They are confusing at first, but essential to solving electrical problems. I use them to make my own, simplified hand-drawn wiring diagram that shows only the relevant circuit(s).
Though I haven't messed with car radio wiring for many years now, I recall that it is usually pretty simple, a hot wire, usually red, a ground wire, usually black, wires for the speakers, and a socket for the antenna wire terminal. The inline fuse in your photo looks like the kind that you push together and twist, somewhat like a medicine container lid. Also consider that the radio may be broken inside and therefore not work even if you get it wired up properly. It might pay to check your hot wire with a test light to see if you have power to the circuit.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts